OT AA breakdown cover renewal

Following a post last month on the same subject I just called the AA to say I was leaving them.

The guy on the phone said he would look into what he could do for me to reduce my premium.

I cut him short and said "Let's not waste each others time, do the renewal for 80 or just cancel the policy".

And was that close to the mark - the guy instantly said "83 is the minimum I am allowed to go to".

I renewed at 83. That's 40 saved for a free 2 minute phone call. Thanks to whoever posted about this last month. I wonder what it would have cost me had I not "suggested" the 80 and he had made me an offer?

Reply to
ARW

Looks like bartering is a way of life here now. Must play havoc with financial statistics. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is that for exactly the same cover as before?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

Reply to
ARW

I agree barter or at least look at other options. In the last 6 months I have got cheaper house ins, cheaper car ins, traded the wifes car for a smaller car and now pay £20 road tax + 60 mpg, got around £200 of gas/elec bills,got my virgin package reduced by around £20 mnth, got free loft ins & cavity wall and now draught proofing my house more. By using Aldi and tesco (30 yards apart) have probably knocked £80 off the monthly foodbill.

Reply to
ss

Just had exactly the same experience with both house and car insurance.

Reply to
harry

Now there is a thought. Last year I was given "free" home start assistance. But even adding that onto the cost of my roadside and recovery it would only cost 99 for a new member for all three services. If the home start is not included on the new policy then I am not covered if I am less than 1/4 of a mile from home.

Home start my arse. If I was to let the handbrake off the car outside my house I could travel 1.2 miles before I stopped going downhill. And I would pass two MOT garages on the way. With a clear run I could probably get up the hill at the other side of the village and end up at my brothers garage.

The renewal card will soon say if I get the "free" homestart or not. Either way - it matters not to me.

Reply to
ARW

Dunno about AA, but I suspect they'll be like the RAC.

I've had RAC cover for years (12 apparantly) and never had Homestart. Last year I went out to the car one morning and the handbrake wouldn't release (stupid electronic thing). Pulling the "emergency release" thing wouldn't work so I thought I'd ring the RAC anyway. They added homestart to my policy for something like 70 quid IIRC and then came out. They ended up recovering the car 25 miles to my prefered garage - well worth the 70 quid.

So even if you don't have it, it's possible to add if really needed. Pretty sure I'd have paid more than 70 quid over the 12 years :-)

Saying that, the renewal came through with homestart added, and was over

200 quid! It did have a nice letter saying how I was such a valued longterm member etc etc.

I rang them, pointed out that I didn't want homestart and would add it when needed (they reluctantly agreed that was always an option) and that the AA would do it for 72 quid *and* they pay quidco cashback :-)

5 mins later they rang me back, 69 quid for myself and my wife for rescue and recovery. Sorted :-) Valued customer indeed... grrrr

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

My preferred garage is my brothers garage 2 miles away. The second choice is the garage half a mile away. The third choice is the other garage half a mile away (they are opposite each other). You can see why I don't want home start.

Reply to
ARW

Does that mean we split the saving 50:50? ;-)

Reply to
unknown

One of the benefits of living "oop North". Proper hills.

Reply to
harry

OTOH One year the AA suddenly increased my premium from £100 to £150 and offerred a £50 "discount" to new customers. I phoned them up and they refused to lower my premium so they have lost my business, possibly for ever.

Reply to
Mark

Ooh, £75 maybe? :)

Reply to
Lobster

that Martin Lewis's 'money saving expert' tells about some alternatives to aa and rac and it saves a lot of money. we went with one and had trouble and were well satisfied with what he recommended.

Reply to
Dave West

I'm a Yorkshireman. So NO:-)

Reply to