OT (a little) - Networking Questions

Hi all, Lots and lots of knowledge here, so I'm hoping someone can help with a question. I currently have a Netgear DG834G ADSL wireless hub (or maybe its a switch, I'm not sure!). When we move house, I'm planning on installing cat5 and a patch panel. Due to layout, I wont be able to have the netgear close to the patch panel - so I'll need another switch next to the patch panel. How, therefore, do I wire the netgear and a new switch (ie

Quickfind code: 63776) into the network so that I can use the netgear to access the internet from the PCs / squeezebox ??

I'm thinking: PC ---- switch(via patch panel) then switch ----- netgear.

Do I then just set the gateway/dns etc of the PCs to the LAN side address of the netgear like I do now, or does the inclusion of the switch complicate things ?? Also, can I use any port on the switch to connect up to the netgear on any of its ports ?? Would I also be able to connect wirelessly to the Netgear and access any other PC on the network like I do now - or again, does the switch complicate things ??

Ideally I would use the LAN ports on the netgear for wiring everything together from the patch panel but a) there aren't enough ports and b) location prevents it.

Any help much appreciated.....

Reply to
NC

Yes, or more precisely:

Switch --- patch panel --- wall sockets --- PC/netgear?

The switch will not affect anything on the IP level; think of it as a

5/8/whatever-way extension cable. You can probably use any port on the switch to connect to any port on the netgear box; there might be an "uplink" port but these days it doesn't tend to matter which you use. You can just connect the netgear as if it were a PC.

alex

Reply to
Alex

Spot on... just need to route the cables between floors !

OK - thanks for the info. Done some digging on uplink ports on the wireless switch I have, and it seems you're right - they are all auto-sensing.

Reply to
NC

what? They will cope with a crossover configuration? Normally you need a crosses RJ45 cable, or to switch one port to cross configuration.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seems that this was too complicated for most consumers. A lot of gear is now auto-sensing, and will switch automatically.

Chris Key

Reply to
Chris

Auto sensing ports are now very common. All the switches here do that, and they're not fancy expensive ones either!

Reply to
Bob Eager