OT (A little) Home of the future

on Sunday night apparently.

Watch it online if you missed it.

have watched through it and they have a CHP system installed which gets a brief mention (Think it was about half way through)

They spent £250k to fill the house with gadgets to make life 'easier'

All seem to consume electricity!

Reply to
mogga

Something to do with the sponsor being e-on?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I did assume that was something to do with it.

They have 5 shows planned - rest, work, play, food, wellbeing The first I assume was the one on Sunday because they had gadgets to help you sleep better....

I thought they could have talked about the way the home was powered more but maybe that'd be a different type of show.

The idea of retrofitting so much stuff seems quite strange - rather than sending them to live for a few weeks in a futuristic house. I assume the money they spend doing it is a tax deductable for making the show.

Reply to
mogga

Perhaps the message is that anyone can do this in their own home.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The only labour-saving thing seems to be the automatic lawn-mower, which will save an hour every fortnight, which the man will spend watching television.

Perhaps the next episode will have some expensive gym equipment to burn off the weight gained after giving up lawn-mowing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I watched the first few minutes to see if I could recognise what part of Sheffield they were in. When they started knocking walls down in the name of open-plan living I changed channel, and then closed the doors and curtains of my nice, cosy, warm, non-open- plan living room.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Yes, this open-plan twaddle is such complete s**te isn't it. And it's the same at work. In my final job, the bosses had offices but the serfs didn't. At least where I worked previously, everyone had an office (shared with another, sometimes, yes).

Reply to
Tim Streater

You do not have a cat. Cat's do not do closed plan.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They don't do doors, either.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Lots of the gadgets didn't need walls knocking down to show this.

Reply to
mogga

I don't understand the love of open plan either

Reply to
mogga

Our Rosie used to come and look through the door if we closed it to the lounge ... but having open doors in doorways isn't the same as having a huge openplan area.

You'd have to tidy the kitchen up immediately after use if it was open plan otherwise everyone would see it was a mess. And then can you hear the dishwasher/washer/dryer everywhere if you have no doors to shut?

Reply to
mogga

Me neither. Perhaps these people like looking at (and smelling) the remains of their dinner while they're watching TV?

Reply to
Huge

Being cynical, I suspect the walls were knocked down mostly so the camera angles could be better, and the house would look bigger. Open plan has always looked more futuristic, too. Going back to the 1950s and even earlier, science fiction movies have showed us living in large, open plan spaces, rather than the rabbit hutches we all buy from Barratts and the like.

Reply to
John Williamson

Its very 'working class' where essentially everyone lived in the kitchen, because it was the only warm room.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A week or so ago I started wondering whether the fancy modern semi-open-plan effect between the kitchen and dining room we've done here:

be a mistake, as I can't close the door on the kitchen keep the cold out of the dining room, or stuff like that.

Anyway, I won't be living there. Let the tenants worry about it.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston