OT A level results and Uni places

When I was at Uni there was not much option. There were only hall places for 1/3 of the students. I applied each year but didn't succeed. So digs in Southfields and District line to South Ken each day.

Reply to
Tim Streater

5G is very good in buildings, if you want multiple APs. If you only want it at home and the garden its not so good unless you have directional kit.
Reply to
dennis

Or, to put it another way, if you want one AP per room, it's good, if you want one AP per building, it's cr@p.

If you want an AP on an outside wall to use in the garden, it makes no difference which you use.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Humm ... well Den perhaps the consultants Ofcom had in were mistaken;(..

Perhaps you ought to offer your services to them ;?..

I'm sure you've got all the necessary test equipment and know how to use it etc?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Do you know what the Ofcom consultants were testing for? You can't say they were right or wrong unless you know what the requirements are.

I don't think they do tests, they just ask some consultants. BTW 5G isn't as good in the open as 2.4G, but I suppose you need to decide what very good actually means.

I know how to use some of it and you usually hire the kit. I know where there is a caravan park in a Welsh valley where there is a big copper ground plane under the grass that you can do the outdoor tests at for a price. If I can find the damn place again that is.

Reply to
dennis

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Yes comparisons between the use of 2.4 -v- 5.8 Ghz in indoor environments..

As above..

Much the same thing. You buy in expertise when you need it like say a Doctor or Barrister.

Well we have outdoor links of 12.5 and 18.8 and 11.2 and 6.7 miles respectively, that good enough?..

Well if you do know how to use it and what your looking for etc..

On GHz range equipment indoors, don't think that'll be much use really;!(..

Reply to
tony sayer

So were they testing for maximum coverage or minimum interference between APs?

2.4 G will give greater range and hence more interference with other APs. 5G gives less range and hence less interference with other APs. This also means you can get more bandwidth into any particular building using a lot of 5G APs. So is 5G better than 2.4G or not?

But not using WiFi APs as per the rest of the thread so what does it matter?

They also commented on outdoor range as did I and too which you are replying.

Reply to
dennis

Here, the students live on campus only for their first year (unless there are special reasons). There seems plenty of nearby off-campus accommodation (a lot of it on an erstwhile council estate where the owners sold to private landlords years ago). Canterbury reputedly has the highest proportion of students per head of population in the whole country, having two universities (well, one plus an imitation, and a third tiny one!).

Depemds on the university and its catchment, and the courses offered. Some attract a high proportion of applicants with rich parents, and most overseas students are well off and want all the facilities regardless of cost.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ours run from about £3700 to £6500. But it's easy to compare apples with oranges; some offer a 30 week licence (term times) and some offer a 39 week licence (which includes the 'short' vacations). That's here in East Kent.

Unaffordable perhaps, but they are expensive things to run; these days it is hard to fill that unused 'plant' all summer, and domestic staff aren't keen on only working for a part of the year. The real problem is the unrealistic level of the maintenance loan.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What is it these days? My 1964 grant is worth £6500 today. Then, it cost £5/week for partial board in digs (breakfast + evening meal).

Reply to
Tim Streater

It varies, but generally £5500 it seems:

Bob Eager

At his Uni it's all 42 week (or 50 weeks for PGs). However, at other Unis, with shorter leases the annual cost can be equivalent. I don't think the comparison is invalid since you have to take it or leave it.

The Students are supposed to do their own cleaning so no domestic staff.

+1 (and that the cost of student accomodation has risen to match other 'types' of accomodation).
Reply to
Mark

Not generally. £5,500 is the *maximum* possible loan. I don't know many people will actually get this.

Reply to
Mark

Depemds on the university and its catchment, and the courses offered. Some attract a high proportion of applicants with rich parents, and most overseas students are well off and want all the facilities regardless of cost.

Whilst looking at an (affordable) rental property in a university town I got chatting with the agent about the market and he informed me that he was currently trying to source a luxury flat for one overseas student at a rental of 4000 pm

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In article , Mark writes

Heh. I bet that works REALLY well :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Best practical coverage obtained with 2.4 and 5.8..

When I get a spare half hour I'll delve in there and see if it can find it unless you want to..

That in a way stated like that.. is a bit like how long is a piece of string..

Depends on several factors be that a large multi roomed building or at home. Course it also depends on the subs equipment, is that single or dual band and from what I've seen of it theres sod all dual stuff around..

Well define more carefully what you mean;!..

For which a large underground mat isn't a lot of use if you think about it..

Reply to
tony sayer

We've got them here in Cambridge quite a few around with silly money..

Mainly these days from Russia..

Reply to
tony sayer

That;'s why busnesses are building halls, we've just had one built opposite= . it's strange the govenment can't build such dwellings and make a profit, it= takes private industry to build things and run them.=20

Our single roooms start at =A3113 pw

=20

Reply to
whisky-dave

OK so not kept up with inflation then.

Reply to
Tim Streater

For one AP or an attempt to provide decent coverage?

In a detached farm house or a block of flats?

No need, I have a pretty good idea how these things work and I can decide what's best in most circumstances.

I also know that you can usually ignore what IT consultants tell you as they seldom actually understand the technology or the requirements.

If you find one that does then you can't afford me.

I know, that's why I qualified my answer in the first place.

Most recent stuff will probably be dual band as far as computers and phones go. None of the ISPs supply dual band routers the last time I looked. Most try to stop you adding your own kit by not giving you the passwords needed for the router to log in. Some even change the ATM settings from 0,38.

Like when I qualified when 5G was better than 2.4G? it didn't help then.

It gives consistent conditions. The weather can affect the results if its rained and the ground is wet compared to when its dry.

Reply to
dennis