OT A level results and Uni places

It seems to bother school pupils less than you'd think. One big number is much like another. Anyway, on 30 grand they only pay 67.50 a month - on a takehome of a bit over 2 grand. That's noise when you've not earned before.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Grief no, so uncool. Bedroom with en-suite bathroom and a flatscreen telly in the lounge is the minimum.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And wi-fi. Don't forget the wi-fi.

Students are paying £100+ per week for rooms in purpose built blocks of student apartments round here.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Y'mean daddy is paying?

Reply to
brass monkey

+1

Wi-Fi? much to slow at least a 100Mbps wired into each room and with backhaul to support everyone streaming of iPlayer or YouTube.

Yep any place that has a half decent student population has had large numbers of student apartment blocks built in recent years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Best days of my life in those digs.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was quite pissed off when I learned that all the time we had spent studying kirchoffs etc was easily superceded by the elegance of millmans theorems

Reply to
cynic

Eh? Millmans theorem IS Kirchoff and Ohm, for a special case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that Adamspeak for max number of wimmen deflw/// d well U know what I mean;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Hah, The link might come up at 100Mbps - but Universities don't deliver a sustained 100Mbps to each room... most aren't even close (rate limited, traffic shaped connections).

Also, WiFi is what students want - wire connections are old hat and largely it's the WiFi service that they are requesting. We are currently rushing to deploy wireless to student rooms for the start of term.

Not a cheap project - and a logistical nightmare (over 1200 access points to install for a start - in buildings being used for conferences etc.)

It's been an interesting summer :-)

Yep, that's about normal (well, can't comment on the price, no idea what the rental is).

I think we still offer B&B type accommodation. Not really my area though :)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Self catered £99 to £154.

B&B £122 to £138.

Price depends on age of accommodation, size of room, whether it has private bath, etc.

But we are darn sarf.

We do (same 'we' as Darren). And they can opt out of breakfast and get a small meal credit.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And it will be so yesterday next year when the wimax laptops start to appear.

Reply to
dennis

Who said anything about a sustained 100Mbps? I suggested enough backhaul for sustained 2Mbps or there abouts, but even that soon adds up over a close development of several 20 storey blocks of student accomodation.

That's 'cause the "can't live without" gadgets of smartphones or tablets don't have ethernet... How does a multi access point WiFi network handle

200 simultaneous streams of iPlayer?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One way would be 200 single access points. But something in between that and a multi access point would probably work for less. You need to know the shape of the building and what signal strengths you get before you can decide.

Reply to
dennis

And Dennis gets it wrong again.

There are only three WiFi channels that don't mutually interfere with each other. So you only have about 150Mbps of over the air bandwidth to play with. Less with the overheads caused by in channel collisions when the load goes up. 200 simultaneous iPlayer streams needs something around

400Mbps...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

only in one space. In rooms you can reckon that the actual reach of the wifi will be sod all. Especially if you go down on power a bit

I can barely get between here and the room next door. Foil backed plasterboard sees to that..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hatfield ran *diploma* courses in 1960. I understood this was considered equivalent to a degree. The failed students turned up on our *block release* courses.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In the city when I was at Uni, there was also a polytechnic; the two co-existed perfectly happily; essentially the two provided different courses for kids with different qualifications. Now of course, both are Unis and 'equal' and the relationship is completely different. My daughter is at the same Uni 30 years later, and reports that there's massive bad feeling between the two; for example nobody would dream of using the student union of the other institution, something that we did regularly without even thinking about it in my day.

Apparently there was even a 'varsity' rugby match last year at which the uni crowd were needling the opposition by chanting "Your dad works for my dad" at them. Unbelievable.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yep, games consoles as well.

Of course, the next problem will be kindles - they don't support enterprise wifi so won't work anyway (working on that - multiple SSID for different options etc)

How does a multi access point WiFi network handle

Fine if done well. Obviously, there is the "but I can sort wifi out at home for 30 quid, why does it cost 2.5 million to do campus??" problem with that.

Many access points (thousands, at many hundreds of quid each), many very expensive wireless controllers (*very expensive*, *very clever*). Radio power dynamically controlled to ensure channel overlap is minimised in any area.

A lot of survey work. I don't fully understand the details, it's not my project. It does however appear to work fair better than wifi has any right to :-)

Did I mention it's quite expensive? :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Yeah yeah.

Be several years before that start to be an issue - if ever IMO.

Come back once Starbucks and McDs are offering WiMax.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman