OT; 5p coins?

Is it just me, or is there a surfeit of 5p coins in circulation lately?

They seem to be being given in change instead of 10p coins in supermarkets, corner shops, garages etc.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just local to me?

Reply to
David Lang

Recession coming.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

David Lang scribbled

Perhaps you should charge more for your jobs.

And stop wearing that cubs uniform.

Reply to
Jonno

It seems to go in cycles here. I imagine its because people tend to store them in jars with other small denomination then all go to the bank and put them in or donate them to charity depending on their mindset. The other odd thing around is that some 5p and 2p coins are not made of steel with the colour just plated on. Try a magnet on some if you don't believe me. I'm also sure some pound coins are heavier than others. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I guess the nswer then is to buy a fairly cheap medium current bridge rectifier from somewhere shove it in a little box and then measure the output voltage and re bulb the lights accordingly. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Yes. I'd wondered if it was on the basis that 1 x 10p coin weighs as much as 2 x 5p coins so there's little or nothing between them as regards storage and transport costs while the 2 x 5p option is patently more flexible (so reduces the need for copper coins).

But it could of course just be that the Mint's 5p machine(s) is bust.

Reply to
Robin

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

Can't say I've noticed any difference in the numbers around really. Copper coins used to be made of bronze IIRC, then changed to being copper plated steel at some point.

I doubt pound coins are different weight, it would rather mess up the weighing of bags of coins.

Reply to
Chris French

There are an awful lot of forged pound coins out there.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Management saves them for grandson and she took the jars she saves them in to the bank earlier this week. Obviously now released back into circulation.

In message , Jonathan writes

Job to tell without good sight but the row of raised bumps just inside the rim is reliable. (lack of).

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Brian-Gaff writes

Well quite a high proportion of pound coins in circulation are actually forged.

Reply to
bert

In article , Tim Lamb writes

Also the milling on the edge.

Reply to
bert

Which is precisely why I mentioned it. In another place somebody suggested a lot of Pound coins are in fact fake, but as there are no so many they still allow them and remove them at the bank end. Is this really true or another urban myth? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The Queen's head and the design on the reverse are supposed to 'line up' on genuine coins but often don't on fake.

Like everyone else, if I find a fake I always send it to the Bank of England for it to be destroyed. It's only a pound and it's my duty...

As, I'm sure, do all the owners of vending machines ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wouldn't unless they gave me a quid back which I've heard they don't. I'd expect nothing less as it's not my fault they allow it to circulate.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Along with reporting whoever gave you the coin to the police naturally.

In the good old days one punishment for counterfeiting was being boiled in oil. That's how to get the message home.

Nowadays they'd be unlucky if they got more than a few weeks community service. Suspended of course.

michael adams

michael adams

I'm sure I've seen this Q asked.

Why is community service regarded as punishment in this modern world.

anyway you couldn't afford to boil someone in oil for forging a one pound coin wouldn't make sense. :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

If it was like the US Chain Gang system, it would be a punishement.

Reply to
charles

Nahhhh -- at least half the undesirables sentenced to community service would regard such public "shaming" as a bloody badge of honour.

J.

Reply to
Another John