OT - 4x4 automatic car.

True, but if you have a car that doesn't have proper manual override and you are in a hurry..which is why they used to each it to the fuzz.

Beats hell out of the brakes if you really are driving it in 'race car' mode tho.

I do it purely cos its smoother. My ideal diving these days is fastish, but not that fast, and very flowing.

I count it a success when my passenger goes to sleep and wakes up and says 'are we there already?'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

HGVs and PSVs both have to have governors. HGVs are limited (EU) to 56MPH (90?KmPH). PCVs to a little higher (100KmPH). Some older ones may not have them fitted, or be set to different speeds.

Reply to
<me9

A colleague was once told (many years ago) that the endorsement for exceding

20MPH in his wagon should remain on his licence for life, as it was such a serious offence. He had been doing 25MPH.
Reply to
<me9

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:22:45 +0000, boltar2003 boggled us with:

are you unable to read "dry, - 1.5c conditions" Boltar?

Reply to
Mike P

Cutting off the ignition and not the fuel can have a serious effect on the efficacy of the silencer BOOM BOOM. BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
<me9

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:29:02 +0000, Scott M boggled us with:

b)It is unclear whether lessons were needed, or if it's natural.

Reply to
Mike P

The car in question was a Lotus Elan Sprint - Max torque at 5500, max bhp 126 at 6500, reve limit 6500.

And the one that didn't Lotus BRM. Effectively the prototype Sprint. S4 Elan with Big Valve balanced engine, max bhp 130 and safe to 7500 (with no rev limiter).

Reply to
Roger Chapman

With a diesel it does in fact govern the engine speed, unlike a carburrettor. (Petrol) Fuel injection may be another basket of marine objects.

Reply to
<me9

Either my brain is getting addled in old age or yours is. BHP is a function of torque and revs and where that peaks depends on the declining half of the torque curve. I don't have any figures easily to hand for modern engines but max torque often used to be below 4000 and max bhp below 6000. The easiest available are for Elans. Max torque at

4000, max bhp at 5500 for the standard version and at 6000 for the S/E. As far as I know all were limited to 6500. By way of contrast 2.25 LR engine as fitted to the S2A had max bhp at 4250 with the 2.6 at 4500 and the 3.5 Range Rover max torque at 3000 and max bhp at 5000.

That doesn't fit any torque curve I have ever seen but then I am still firmly rooted in the past.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I know a guy who drove an automatic like that, right foot for throttle and left for brake. He then borrowed a manual car while his was in for servicing. Drove into a car park and dived into a space in front of a brick wall, lifeted left foot, pressed pedal and had a hell of a job explaining to the insurance company what had lappened.

Reply to
Tinkerer

OK, I was defeated by the Cairn this morning.

I didn't make any attempt to work at it, we'd have managed to get to the top of the section where we aborted with a bit of work. Not sure how much further we'd have got. But we did have to get to work, so we gracefully aborted and took a different route...

I've posted some clips my cow-orker took en-route. They are mostly under 1 minute, and all un-edited raw from the cam.

As usual, the steepness of the sections is not really visible in the video clips. I'm total rubbish at getting gradient to show on photos etc. Clip 5 is as far as we got today.

Initial climb out of Strachan:

Glen Dye AA box:
past Glen Dye AA box:
to Bridge of Dye:
climb up out from Bridge of Dye ( aborted ):
for today:

Reply to
Ron Lowe

And the final link:

Ron Lowe

Andy Champ

Sweetheart has an auto-only licence.

Personally I have great trouble in not de-clutching on an auto, which tends to make it stop rather sharply. So I fold my left foot underneath me for a bit until I get back onto the pattern.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Reply to
Huge

Peak BHP is not always at peak RPM - in fact, it shouldn't be unless the manufacturer has artificially limited the top revs for longevity. You should be able to keep the engine around the peak power while going through the gears for maximum speed - and you can't do that unless the peak revs are a fair bit above peak power.

IC engine torque always drops of sharply at really low revs, and is never flat whatever the manufacturer does. It's nice to keep it smooth

- but this may be compromised for power.

Have a look at these:

K1200 bike)

GT3). Notice BTW the big area of flat torque, but rising power. Easy driving there!

And also the complete article at

Andy Champ

Reply to
Ron Lowe

long time since I saw an AA box!)

I've forgotten what your vehicle is -- ?

John

Reply to
Another John

Here's a bit more info on today's conditions..

When this road is under fresh powder, it's actually not to difficult. The snow tyres compress the powder and grip into it very well. The entire route is possible.

Today is day 5 of un-cleared roads. The tracks ahead of us you see on clip 5 are historic tracks, built up over the previous days, with fresh powder on top. We are the first up here today.

On the earlier days, we drive up and that compresses the powder to hard-packed show. Then that day-time 2 degrees softens it up, and then it freezes overnight. This thaw-freeze cycle results in icy tracks which act like rail-tracks, under the fresh powder which is now visible.

Today, the snow tyres grip on the fresh 4" powder, but the compressed powder does not grip on the icy base. Similar to a slab avalanche, the top layer of snow does not grip the lower icy layer and we loose traction. Layers of compressed show are thrown out.

An attempt later in the day when it's softened up a bit would be OK.

Chains would probably break through the interface and get a hold of the icy base.

Reply to
Ron Lowe