OT - 4x4 automatic car.

If you'd fail an auto test by left foot braking it just shows how behind the times the test is. And if your coordination is so poor you can't tell each foot what to do, you shouldn't be driving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
8>
8>
Reply to
Edgar Iredale

My BMW has both traction control and stability control as well as ABS. And non of them are any use in very slippery conditions - like ice. Driver skill is what's needed there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Scott M

Yeah right. Last year in the snow standard tyres couldn't even get me away from the kerb because of the steep camber on the bit of road I'd parked on. The car had to be pushed.

B2003

Reply to
boltar2003

Sounds like a very twitchy auto box to me. In the autos I've driven you've really had to floor it to get them to change down to first at anything less than about 20mph.

I wouldn't count on the supposed "manual" override to save you. In my current car and the previous one I had it was manual so long as the computer approved of the gear you'd chosen. And if it decided you were getting a bit lairy with the revs it would change up anyway regardless. Complete waste of time.

B2003

Reply to
boltar2003

Except at very low speeds, autos only change down on demand - ie how far you've pressed down the throttle. So it will only drop a couple of gears (as you've said) if you force it to. But then flooring the throttle on a manual at low revs is a bit pointless too. The auto is only changing down because you're telling it to get on with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think the argument that left foot braking is not to be commended in drivers who split their time between the two modes is based on what happens in an emergency when simple reflex actions are triggered before you have a chance to think rationally about the situation.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Until the one day you dip the clutch in the auto car and everyone head butts the screen.

Reply to
dennis

That's about the sum total of it. There needs to be an internet term for people who don't bother trying to understand what's in front of them and get all aggressive about it and/or playing the "I'm disabled you know" card every other post.

I see this in 'real' people all the time. Not enough cognitive ability to hold a proper conversation[1] so it becomes all aggressive when people answer back.

A good example is that she seems to take the various instances of:

  • Automatic vehicles are not as good as manual vehicles for off-roading[2]

as:

  • People who drive automatics are inferior[3]

But, hey, if she wants to piss an inheritance up the wall (notice how things like that get dropped in unnecessarily) on a car she doesn't need, I stopped caring a while ago!

[1] They confuse conversation with rhetoric. They say something and expect everyone else to just nod and agree or reply with something vacuous. [2] And, IMHO, that's only true in extremis - ie proper off roading rather than dealing with snowy roads. [3] Ok, some of those have turned up too but not in the original context.
Reply to
Scott M

I don't know which of you is talking more rubbish now.

I've had two autos and am far from being incapable yet never found an advantage to left foot braking (beyond slightly less wear to my right ankle, presumably.)

Reply to
Scott M

My 2A and the workshop manuals I had for it are long gone and I don't recall such elements. However I still have a dinky Autopress Manual which someone gave me years later after I replaced a rear spring on their LR for them. Petrol models could indeed have both governor and hand throttle.

Speed limiters aren't governors in my book. I can't recall off hand any other light road vehicle that had an auxiliary power take-off but with one you need some way of setting the throttle to give power when using the auxiliary equipment and preferably something that does maintain a set rate despite load variations. Just like most stationary engines.

As I said above I don't consider speed limiters to be governors.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I will not answer this letter by letter.

I really wish you would read what I said.

I have never made an issue of being disabled because officially I am not. I tried not to mention it.

As for pissing an inheritance away. I most certainly am not. The money for this car is from my hard earned thanks. The inheritance hasn't been sorted yet as more bank accounts keep coming to light. I will have to get my IH tax sorted first and I cant of that because I don't have a final figure for the estates left.

Its not funny to lose someone, especially people who you loved and I would never piss away ( as you so nicely put it) money that was so hard earned and never enjoyed by another. That would be wrong.

The money will be left in a bank account and I will not touch it.

You know what you perceive as aggressi>

Reply to
sweetheart

Is that right? Oh, I didn't know that. Are you sure? If so, its likely I have a manual licence. I have never checked.

Reply to
sweetheart

The problem for the O/P is that it was a political decision to invent a new class of licence for those they must have considered less capable. Harold Wilson has a lot to answer for apart from 'the pound in your pocket' and the 70 mph speed limit.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

All I knew was that it was somewhere between 1961 when I passed my test and 1978 which is the date of the grubby bit of green paper that is the latest incarnation of my driving licence but according to a website I just looked at 2nd June 1969 is the magic date. What really matters is what it says on your licence so check that.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Which bit of "on dry roads" did you miss?

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Scott M

See Land Rover Series 1 Workshop Manual pages 331 - 338 for details of governors.

Whatever your book says this book specifically has a section on fitting the "35 m.p.h. speed limit governor".

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

Every diesel engine with a mechanical fuel injection pump has a Governor, whatever your interpretation of what a governor actually does it is still always referred to as a governor, i.e. MOT testers manual.

-
Reply to
Mark.