OT: 2 DECT cordless phones in one location - possilble?

OT, I know, but always had a knowledgeable response here... Famous last words ;-)

I have a cordless DECT phone at home - 4 units in total.

I now want to add another cordless phone - either a Skype + DECT combined one, or just a Skype one, to allow me to make Skype calls around the house.

Is it possible, or will they interfere with each other?

TIA.

Reply to
JoeJoe

It won't be a problem. I've installations (PBX/VoIP/Telephony) where I have 3 base stations in the same area.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

DECT is brilliant at this, I have two base stations on the desk on front of me here, they are often in use simultaneously and never cause a problem.

Reply to
Graham.

Thanks for that - off to buy one then...

Reply to
JoeJoe

Yes, you may find that you can use the phones to select either base station.

My mobile phone can make and receive SIP VOIP calls via my wireless router. Though getting that to work did take some googling.

Reply to
Michael Chare

JoeJoe has brought this to us :

No problem at all. You can use both at the same time, on separate calls. You can even have them on two separate LL's and each phone can have access to both lines/ both base stations, but the basics should be common to all.

The only problem might be interoperabilty, between different makes/models.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We're talking DECT here. I really wish my mobile (which can do SIP via Wi-Fi too), could talk DECT. DECT is infinitely better than Wi-Fi for voice.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

In addition to the four bands modern handsets do currently, that would be a QUINT band phone.

If they find yet another band to support on top of those, that would make it a... ...Oh my word!

Reply to
Graham.

In message , JoeJoe writes

Just before I went to Indonesia, either Play.com or 7dayshop were selling a skype+dect for £18. Dunno if the offer still stands

Reply to
geoff

I was under the impression that all DECT systems are interoperable.

I've certainly joined a BT badged handset to a Binatone base station in the last couple of weeks.

Reply to
Huge

Only for basic features, look for DECT GAP compatibility for more features (but still some features like shared phonebooks or answer machine access will probably not work across manufacturers/models)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, OK. I only cared about basic features.

Reply to
Huge

Huge was thinking very hard :

The basics will (should) work fine, but some sets have extra features which are not guaranteed to work.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield