Original stair covering in a 1950s council house?

The nice painted strips are a bugger to strip off as well. ;-)
Mark S.

That's why I've given up trying to strip back to bare wood. The whole staircase would have to be dismantled to do that properly.
Also, I have read in several different Usenet threads something I was never aware of before, and that is that some people consider fully carpeted stairs to be inherently dangerous, especially for people wearing socks.
I noticed tonight that Homebase have "Dandy runner" on a roll, which you buy by the length, e.g. 10 cm for 1.19 This stuff was fairly thin and was 67 cm wide, i.e. far narrower than the tread. Could do the trick, maybe.
MM
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:16:48 +0000, Mike Mitchell

Took me about an hour a step to strip when I worked it out...
My mum and dad have carpeted stairs and I've never fallen down them yet even with a 50kg printer under my arm. ;-)
Mark S.

But if domestic stairs were never *meant* to be fully carpeted, then maybe carpet is just not the right material, unless of the thin, centred runner variety, held in place with stair rods. I mean, I don't actually *like* carpet all that much, as I have laminate flooring or ceramic tiles on the ground floor, which is so easy to clean. I'd like to paint the flooring upstairs, but it all has to fit in with whatever happens to the stairs.
To me, carpet anywhere, at least in any ordinary dwelling, as opposed to a mansion, always seems to look like a slapper wearing slippers, whereas a house with hard flooring had a far more elegant, straightforward feel to it.
MM
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:12:49 +0000, Mike Mitchell

It's all person taste I guess but I know my bare wood ones are noisy as heck when you are tramping up and down them. :-)
Mark S.

Only if you wear shoes. Once you have them beautifully finished, and that lovely blue wallpaper is gone you won't want to wear shoes on them.
On the other side of the coin is that they are much easier to clean when not carpeted.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I wish it was wallpaper - it's artex... ;-)
Mark S.

Painted? i.e. somebody was an artist?
Artex on staircase walls? Presumably you've scratched your arms a few times and complained......
Why do people have these strange ideas?
Have you decided how you're going to deal with it?
BTW, I forgot to ask. How are you getting on with plumbing, Mark?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

?
But it ain't 'retro', it certainly isn't 1950s council house, when having carpets was the ultimate in aspiration.
Mary
Mary

"Mark S." wrote | My mum and dad have carpeted stairs and I've never fallen | down them yet even with a 50kg printer under my arm. ;-)
I once tried to ride a Spacehopper down the stairs.
Owain
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:45:46 -0000, "Owain"
Boy, that really must have been a bit of an incident!
PoP

We used to slide down the stairs as kids. I must have grown up in a fully carpeted house, because I wouldn't fancy doing it on wood!!
Besides, aren't socks more deadly on laminate? I've never thought of carpet as a risk, but lamitate will make you slip easilly with socks and wet feet, done both myself. I'd think twice before using it on an upper-landing.
F.

Nah - only lino was good for that... Geo

Yes, to my bemusement, my wife is utterly incapable of going down our stairs without falling down them. I don't know how she does it. I think she must walk with a technique that requires sideways forces to be transmitted from the stair to her foot. It's not like the carpet is particularly slippery.
Christian.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:30:41 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Does she live her entire life upstairs, then? Hidden away, like Mrs Glum? "Ooh, Ron!"
MM

No. You just know she is coming downstairs by the sound of bumping and crashing.
Christian.