Ordering Carpet for self fitting - size??

I am about to buy about 250 sq.yds of carpet and underlay, and will be asking the supplier to cut the relevant lengths of 13ft wide rolls:

e.g. 17ft6in x 13 ft; 6ft9in x 13ft; 5ft x 13ft; 13ft6in x 13ft; 17ft x

13ft etc..

What I need to know is how much over the size i need to fit the room, should I have it cut:

e.g. if the room is 17ft long and 11ft wide, how much more than 17ft do I need to have it cut, so that there is enough to play with? 6in, a foot, ......

Many Thanks

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

An excellent fitter will work with a tolerance of about 1% but prefer about 3% or six inches maximum. On your measurements I make that an additional six inches for the 17 foot room. This is because your rooms may not be truly square. I would always add about six inches but no more to that length. I bet your carpet is actually 4 metres wide not 13 feet but 13.1 feet.

If it is a new home and you are working from plans they are often wrong. Do check.

Remember that if you specify sizes you accept responsibility for errors.

Simon, former carpet seller, not a fitter.

Reply to
Me

As little as possible, ensuring there's enough to cut - you can't easily cut a small margin. 3" oversize but:- *make sure that your measurements are accurate*. Don't forget that for doorways, alcoves etc. you will need the maximum dimension. You also need to take into account any pattern, and the direction of the pile (especially for stairs).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message , snipped-for-privacy@m.m writes

Thanks for that Simon.

I think I'll measure again to double check.

Would it cause problems if i added 12inches to each length?

(The saving over buying from the local carpet shop is massive, so the extra cost of the waste is neither here nor there).

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I have to say, that's what I do. Allows for slight mismeasurements, and screwups when I lay it! Once I'm sure it's in the right place I trim it to a workable size before final cutting.

If it's too big it can damage/mark the wallpaper...really.

Reply to
Bob Eager