Opinions on Luxus Lofts in Manchester anyone?

I know that it's not really diy, but has anyone used Luxus Lofts in Manchester for a loft conversion and are they any good?

Reply to
Adrian

I'd avoid these guys if possible. I didn't as I liked their proposed design and they were cheaper than the competition due to their VAT saver scheme where you only pay VAT on materials and not their labour. Anyway, a nine week project has so far taken 20 weeks and in the last 3 weeks they've not turned up on fourteen occasions when they said they would. Also complaining does no good as they won't reply to phone messages or emails. I'm also left with an unfinished loft conversion with features that don't meet the building regulations. One of my neighbours also used them and their workmanship was so bad that they had to get another loft company in to strip out the work that Luxus did and start again.

Reply to
nick

ICBW But that sounds dodgy.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

It _might_ be that they are below the VAT registration turnover limit. If 'they' are hiring workers on labour-only contracts, each worker would be below the threshold and if materials were procured directly by the end-user (in some slight of paperwork) then no value would be added to the materials so 'you only pay VAT on materials and not their labour'... But, I agree , with DG, "ICBW But that sounds dodgy". [I'm sure HMRC might be interested ... and able to set your mind at rest,]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Thanks for the opinions. I've been doing some more searching and they've got a bad rating on the 'rate your builder' website so I think that I'll avoid.

Reply to
Adrian

At £61k, that would be a bit surprising for a business of this type I would have thought.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hello... DG calling. :)

I've known genuine above the board builders who've had VAT inspectors pursue them up ladders onto customers roofs, because they'd found an invoice for 5 sets of door handles that they couldn't reconcile with a job. The implication being that a substantial job had been done and not declared.

I've also come across a pizzeria which got raided by the VAT. It turned out they'd had a car stationed outside on the opposite side of the road for a whole year recording what customers ordered, observed through a pair of binoculars.

There was a sweetie shop opposite where I worked run by an 84 year old woman. She got a visit at 3-00 am one morning from 4 customs officers and an alsatian dog, apparently because over a periodshe had bought VAT able supplies and there were no corresponding VAT charges in her outputs.

Jack the lad builders can come up with cunning plans all they like. But HMC&E can declare any such novel schemes inadmissable (simply because they are novel and others may copuy them) and impose penalties which could well put them out of business and leave their cutomers with half completed jobs (No roof on) for which they have paid, to some extent, in advance.

I recommend caution. ;-)

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I guess they told you the VAT-Saver scheme was a legal loophole? In reality, I very much doubt it. When the Inland Revenue catches up with them, they will do a moon-lit flit, dropping all their part-complete jobs. Probably.

Reply to
Jason

Could it be a Phoenix company as Luxus Loft Conversions Ltd of 46-48 Long Street Middleton went under in June last year?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Quite possible I think.

- On the present web site, there is no apparent mention of a Limited company

- No news items before August of last year.

- Claim to have been doing loft conversions since 1987, yet no references prior to Dec 05.

This does not *necessarily* add up to anything flakey, but I would find out who the Ltd company is behind this (probably a shelf company) and whether the directors are the same as for the old one. Then I would do a check on the directors and their other company appointments and whether any of those have gone bust. Normally, the filed accounts at Companies House give a little information on a company although for small ones, the limited info now required is not that helpful. If this is a new company, it won't have had to file accounts yet anyway.

This does ring some alarm bells though.

In any event, I wouldn't even consider doing business with any company in this sector other than via some credit vehicle, and would ensure retention of at least 50% of the cost until the company considers the job complete. Then the discussion can begin on whether it is complete, remedial work and finally an agreeement on the remainder of the payment less any shortcomings.

Reply to
Andy Hall

When I was at school, I overheard an experienced teacher talking to a student teacher about remembering the names of all the pupils. He said, "you remember the troublemakers' first, then the good ones', then the rest".

Soon after coming to Gtr Manchester, I found out about Luxus Lofts.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Reply to
cez658

alled dave preston, he lies ,lies, lies and lies they take your money and r= un, please call me on 07738866467 i will put you in touch with an unfortuna= te guy who used them, please believe me they are first class clowns

Reply to
cez658