Operation and Failure mode of G9 Halogen bulb holders?

Hi all I have a cheap domestic ceiling lamp which holds G9 Halogen bulbs in three positions. One of these positions has gone faulty (ie. replacement known good bulb doesn't work) and I have been investigating...

I bought a new ceramic bulbholder, like this:

and have been examining the old one. It seems that the contact between the bulb and the 240V is a rubbing contact between the 'outer edge' of the wire loop of the G9 bulb, and a bit of one of the two small metal connector pieces of the (sh*t quality, of course) bulbholder. It may be that just bending the loops of the bulb out a bit would have helped matters; too late to tell as I'll have to fit the new bulb holder now.

Two questions:

i) Is this rubbing contact on the outer edge of the wire loop the 'standard' way for G9 bulbs & holders to make contact? I wasn't sure and this slightly surprises me.

ii) is this a common failure mode?

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper