Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

Yep - same here, works good - two external drives and it's internal drive - triple backup, totally effortless

Reply to
John F

and now what software shall I use?

I have enough bandwidth on ADSL. I even have VDSL available as soon as I am ready to migrate (that'll give me about 60/15Mbit/s)

Bandwidth is not an issue - protocol and software is.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And not solving my problem (I too have a nice "internal" solution - and now that needs to evolve...)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe I'm not clear on what you want. ES3 allows the devices to mount Samba shares.

I have a large directory full of music. Either device can mount the share and play the music.

If I wanted to sync to the device, I'd just run rsync on either end.

I use something different for photo sharing over USB. Since the photos may appear as a filesystem or using MTP, I use Gphoto2 to copy from device to Linux hard disk or to remove photos I don't want from the device.

Android being Linux can run a Samba client just fine. There's more than one Samba client as I remember.

You can run Samba and/or NFS. Windows can also do NFS (I read somewhere), but Samba is more universal.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Maybe, but I prefer to see it as a technical question. No need to be antagonistic, even if the post reads like an attempt to push some peoples buttons.

I think there is a simple solution to the requirements as I understand them.

Reply to
Dan Espen

M$ one drive works quite well with android, you get 5TB to play with for ~£60pa and you get office free on 5 PCs for that.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks - that might be worth checking out as a general file manager (I am using "File Manager" right now).

I have managed SFTP access with mine - but the main sticking point is you cannot mark files for offline access (aka Keep on Device").

The whole "mount SFTP/SMB" thing is an acceptable last resort - but I really would like to have user selectable caching as that makes a big difference in usability if the network goes away.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And unfortunately it's not under my control. Do I want pictures of my kids swimming on their server?

Reply to
Tim Watts
[stuff]

Shouldn't you have cross-posted this?

Reply to
Huge

Well - OK, I pushed some buttons. But hey, it got a lively debate with some interesting ideas... But no, I am hard core Linux, but not so hard core that I fail to see the world changing :)

It would look that way - which is why I am amazed that in weeks (ad hoc) of googling I have not found a really good solution yet.

I've found lots of 50-80% solutions though...

Technically Google Drive and Dropbox have 100% but fail on the "not private, and not trustworthy" criteria. But they prove the prove the problem is solvable.

The commercial software guys (Tonido, Owncloud etc) just don't quite get it - they seem to be suffering from the "those who don't understand unix are doomed to reinvent it - poorly" syndrome.

The key point is "multiple users, POSIX/NTFS+AD mapping" - Oooh wouldn't that be a good idea... Doh.

I do understand that the community/free versions will be clipped but to have nothing between that and a $9000 50 user/year licence fee is insane (yes, one of them charges that much). Even VMWare understood the concept of a hobbyist's license and those guys are not known for being cheap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

yeah - It's TNP's client keeps trimming the groups and I usually notice, but not this time...

I did read up on OpenAFS BTW - but the lack of Android client is a bit of a problem. Pity 'cos I already use Kerberos and that's one major hurdle gone...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh, OK.

Pity. Sorry.

Reply to
Huge

Not my client, my news server (albasani) that doesnt like cross posts without a follow-up set

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK - please accept my apologies. I'll just keep adding them back..

Reply to
Tim Watts

Encryption is your friend.

Reply to
dennis

Not really.

You are missing the point I fear - this has to be seamless and usable by anyone.

Unless you know of an file manager app that does on the fly encryption?

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK - much interesting discussion.

But I am trying to throw this to Ask Slashdot as I think it has merit.

anyone who feels so interested or inclined, please upvote my submission:

Ta :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

dennis

Wow. Was not expecting that.

That is actually a potentially serious nutcracker there.

Thank you.

If not my entire media collection, that could be a good contender for shared documents (finances, etc).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Huh?

What exactly are you trying to protect? Are your kids especially ugly?

I've taken plenty of pictures of people in the water. I don't see the issue.

Reply to
Dan Espen