Opening and using a Victorian fireplace

AKA biting off more than I can chew!

We're in the middle of decorating a room, and had a bright idea. See what is behind the blocked off fire place, with a view to reinstating and using it. Better now, than after redecorations complete.

First step was an exploratory hole, which revealed that the blocking off was purely plaster board - no brickworks.

The hole was expanded, using a jig saw, to reveal the original opening, hearth etc. Plan was to install a grate, attach a mantle and away we go, but life is never that simple. There is a tiled hearth in front of the fire place, flush with the floor, and a smoke pellet confirms the chimney is not blocked, although will be swept, of course.

A few photos here :

I don't know is what blocks the gaps between the back of the plaster board and the front of the bricks, at either side.

Similarly, there is nothing between the back of the plaster board and the front of the chimney itself. I'm guessing that the original fire place was cast iron, which protected the lath and plaster from the fire. What would I use, if I install a simple grate? The mantlepiece in the photos is just leaning against the wall, and will probably not be used in this room.

Reply to
News

I would cut the plasterboard back, upto the mantle at least and either plaster the bricks or tile them. It would look good then.

Oh. Well, I'd still use the mantlepiece as a guide for how far back to remove the PB and replace with tiles or plaster. Tiles have the advantage they wipe clean. Painted plaster is apt to get grubby near open fires. Or fit an iron surround and plaster upto it...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It doesnt look like anything does.

Just get a typical Victorian coal basket and fire surround and cut back the plasterboard and fill ant cracks with plaster, or fireclay if near the fire.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, bonding coat can go on fairly thick, or in 2-3 seperate coats if needs be. Then just finish with the usual skim.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Created out of sandstone, or similar, in a Victorian granite built house. Looks terrible.

I'm still umming and arring about this one. Sadly, I don't know what was there originally. Locals tell me the house was 'modernised' 30 - 40 years ago. Luckily, all the original doors, sash windows and cornices are in place, but all fireplaces ripped out, and a beautiful staircase boxed in.

The part that worries me is the area in front of the throat. There is nothing between the back of the plaster board, and the back of the chimney, so nothing to plaster onto. There must have been something there once, but what?

Some of the things done to this house would make you weep.

Reply to
News

You might want to try something bigger than a smoke pellet - I unblocked my chimney, used it, and found smoke pouring into the house upstairs through a cracked chimney liner. I'm glad I didn't spend anything installing an expensive new fireplace I can't use! In my old house, the entire cast iron gubbins had been removed when we revealed it, so we just laid a brick hearth and used a firebasket, and framed the hole with a wooden mantle. It was like an inferno, but very cosy when it was freezing :)

Reply to
Maria

Are there soldier bricks? How far up?

Can't be as bad as mine. 1970's modernisers.

Reply to
Maria

You've been busy I see, nice work. How have you found the time to keep posting here? The workspace seems far too tidy though, kind of unnatural ;-).

I wondered about the need for the membrane before the metal framing on the external walls but then remembered how exposed your location is. Are there any intermediate fixings in the frame verticals and is the membrane re-sealed with anything as they pass through?

Enjoyed a quick look at the winter pics too, thanks for sharing.

Reply to
fred

I was going to shout cheat but it's not as if you're claiming it as your own.

Solid here too (sandstone outer, brick inner) C1900 with original lath and plaster just gapped off the inside a bit. On the parts I have exposed it's v dry but it is a well ventilated space so that may be an explanation.

I'll be stripping off the lath and plaster and insulating in some areas, hence the interest in membranes, I hadn't planned to use one.

The lack of taping surprises me too.

Bit nippy for me.

Reply to
fred

ebay often have these for sale. We were able to buy an exact same (1890) cast iron fireplace to replace a cracked one.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It is assumed that when they built a block wall in the mid 70's either side of the range fireplace to mount the plasterboard on to make a completely flat boring blank wall. Instead of hacking lumps off the blocks to make 'em fit they hacked lumps off the stone. One of the builders who knows and likes his stone was almost in tears, the boss builder was visibly peed off as well.

Yes, it's 'orrible damage but with a bit of tidying up it's "character" and "story" and this house has a story to tell.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You may want to do a bag test to check for leaks: My victorian house needed a flue liner as smoke poured out into the loft.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

On the photo with the wood surround the height of the opening looks too tall. There might be a concrete lintel missing. You must make sure all cement in between bricks and all bricks are proper (fire cement/fire bricks).

There does not appear to be a hearth in front of the fire. Is it a wooden floor?

you need a solid hearth at the front (of minimum dimensions and 2" height) or if any coals of wood falls off the crate you could end up having your house on fire.

What Maria said about fumes in the post above mine is correct.

Reply to
Charles

In message , Maria writes

Excellent, thanks. Yesterday, I lit a small fire of paper and kindling, which worked perfectly, so I then threw some leaves from the garden on top, to make smoke. Again, no sight or smell of smoke anywhere except the chimney, so I'm fairly sure the flue is OK. Next job is to get the chimney swept.

When I first started exploring, I rather hoped the original bits like the grate may be hidden in there, but no such luck. Just a few conkers, twigs and a bird skeleton :-(

Reply to
News

Yes, you are right. However, I cut the plaster board back higher than necessary, because there is nothing behind it. Yes, there is a lintel (granite), which is a few inches above the cut PB. What I don't know is what should be behind the PB, coming down from the lintel, and probably ending opposite the top of the sloping back. A sheet metal baffle screwed to the granite lintel?

Yes, the floor is wooden, and yes there is a tiled heath, covered in carpet underlay in the photos.

Thanks.

Reply to
News