Opening a wall and installing a lintel

You're welcome. We each need to draw the line where our own ability is not quite enough and the gap cannot be bridged by advice obtained from a newsgroup.

Different people will draw the line in different places. I tend to be cautious, partly because experience shows I can turn simple DIY jobs into difficult ones, and partly because a friend died under several tons of brick rubble because he decided to have a go himself rather than get professionals in to do a job that was just a little too challenging for his own ability.

What concerned me here was that advice was being given without any consideration of the ability of the individual to do the job. The macho aspect doesn't help, with the inference that people are wimps if they won't tackle complex and risky structural work on their own.

Ba11s to that!

My friend's bravado didn't help his wife bring up their three young children on her own after losing the house and getting into huge debt in the process because house insurers don't cover the aftermath of jobs fouled up by inept DIYers. She would have faced bankruptcy if my friend's employer had not helped out. All because of bravado.

If in doubt, let the experts do it. If they get it wrong, as sometimes happens, at least they have insurance, and you can always sue them. And, most important of all, your children will still have a father.

Reply to
Bruce

Cheers Cic. Yes I had plans drawn up and the BCO altered the type of lintel required so it's not as if I'm just choosing any old lintel.

10" is a lot more comfortable than what I originally thought they were. Thanks again.
Reply to
Stuart Barrie

They might avoid losing their life through my taking my advice rather than listening to your reckless nonsense.

Reply to
Bruce

You'll be telling me next that it wasn't a good idea to walk across the caldera of an active volcano

Reply to
geoff

Was the job properly supported as the OP proposes?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In general a pre stressed concrete lintel that your local BM will stock is miles over specified for this sort of domestic job.

As regards the strongboys have a look at them at your local hire shop. They again are miles over specified for this sort of domestic job - as are acros.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know - I only got to know about it after it had happened.

Reply to
Bruce

No, I am adding some other information that will be just as interesting, that the company was named after the lawyer.

I don't know who named the lawyer.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Then it's irrelevant to this thread since the OP is clearly intending doing the job safely.

Perhaps if your pal had asked here before starting and taken the good advice available he'd still be alive. It also sounds like he was doing rather more than just adding a door opening.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I refer the hon gentleman to an earlier post:

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:54:13 -0000

Reply to
Tony Bryer