Opening a toilet cistern

I have a close coupled, toilet pan and cistern. The cistern is flushed by a dual-flush knob in the lid of the cistern.

It is making slightly strange noises, and there is sometimes a leak after flushing, that runs back into the pan.

I can not lift the lid of the cistern to see what is happening. I assumed that the chrome ring around the flush knobs was screwed in or something, but I can not move it!

How do I get into the cistern, please?

PS I am not really a diy type person, but needs must!

Reply to
Roger Tonkin

depress the buttons insert fingers in a wedge fit, rotate hand and buttonn assembly anticlockwise? or rock and ease button assembly up and out?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

It's screwed in. They are, unfortunately, quite common.

As Jim says, unscrew it. Try wearing rubber gloves for extra grip.

The leak into the pan is either the fill valve not shutting off properly, or the flush valve seal leaking.

If its a short 'spurt' of water into the pan which then stops, they just do that :-)

I'd guess the flush valve is a SIAMP like this;

If so, its a bayonet fit so you can push & twist like a light bulb & it will come out (turn water off first).. There is a black rubber seal at the bottom. A 'PROPER' plumbers merchant will probably have them e.g. not B&Q/Homebase.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Try lifting the push buttons themselves out (not the bezel surrounding them). This should reveal a screw you undo to be able to lift off the lid.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The chrome ring WILL come off. But if you are having problems with this it is unlikely that you will be able to fix the problem. With respects it is best that you ring your nearest local plumber.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Peter Parry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

+1
Reply to
DerbyBorn

Selection of plumbers is best done on grounds other than simple geographical ones.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright wrote in news:l9b3ed$4tp$2 @speranza.aioe.org:

Many will not have the spares and will want to fit a new bog. Easier for them - more profit for them - and you won't have time to choose what you want. Unfortunately now there are too many types of mechanisms and plumbers don't take the time to understand them - a sharp intake of breath and they will say it is one that was never any good and you need a new one.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Another reason for hating these things.

Reply to
Huge

That would be my preferred option, but past experience show that the plumbers around here are not interested in small job, and in our out of town location. They will either not respond to a phone message, or promise to call, but never appear!

Reply to
Roger Tonkin

Roger Tonkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You will get better advice if you can upload some photos so that people can see what system you have.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Thankfully :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

...and I love it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you live in the middle of nowhere then you really should have some emergency cover. I know somebody who has that British Gas cover, his wife took it out despite his feeble objections. His bog was doing exactly the same as yours. Out comes the British Gas guy and fits new innards. No charge. The cover is not cheap. Food for thought?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Not really the middle of nowhere, about 4 miles out from a small market town, hamlet of about 15 houses, plus a few scattered farms on a B road

wife took it out despite

Hopefully I'll be having plenty of more nutricious food over the next few days :)

Reply to
Roger Tonkin

A loo at my mum's house does this sometimes, usually after someone has done a thorough flush rather than a quick one. On her loo, the buttons push air down a flexible tube to the flush valve which I think is in the bottom of the cistern; I suspect that the air spurt inflates something which then lifts some plug that blocks the flow of water to the bowl. Anyway, the thing that lifts doesn't always reseat itself into the recess it would normally sit in... and so there's a route out of the cistern to the bowl, through which there's s steady flow of water.

The loo concerned has a concealed cistern so that even when the access panel is levered off the enclosing box it only gives one limited access to the cistern. I've found though that I can sit on the seat and stick my hands into the cistern and feel around in the central plastic assembly until I can

- just - reach the top of the part that lifts to allow the flush to happen - it seems to be a hollow(?) cylinder that's quite a few inches tall. A bit of a jiggle and one can hear and feel it slot back into place at the foot of the cistern. Then, I find I have to wait a few seconds before pressing an air-release button works again... but it does.

It's a nuisance; the only good solution involves replacing the cistern & valve with something more reliable which will be costly - I'd probably do it if it were my house but mum would want "a proper plumber" to do it so that the cabinet and the wc-to-cabinet cosmetic seals are all redone nicely and the whole thing still looks pristine.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid:

Concealed cisterns - like built in kitchen appliances are a problem waiting to annoy you.(and cost you more by limiting your choices)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

'No charge'

'The cover is not cheap'

???

No charge for the part or labour. HTH.

You need to pay for the cover. It is called ............. insurance.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Your bog is due to explode @ 22.57 hours 28/12/13.

Reply to