OP Where is the fence?

In these days of public safety where is the fence?

F Murtz

Once you install a fence you become responsible for its upkeep. The other thing with fences is burglars climb over them, twist their ankle, the sue.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I walk at Seaford Head fairly regularly, it's really not a problem and would detract from the raw natural beauty of the place. Having said that, there was some advice just the other day that dogs should be kept on a lead because there have been cases of them chasing rabbits and birds and running over the edge. However I've seen and spoken to many dog walkers over the years and it's never appeared to be an issue. The biggest danger up there is stepping in dog-shit !

Reply to
Andy Cap

The edge recedes, on average, 0.5-1 metre per year, although there are occasional much greater rock falls. Therefore, any fence would either need to be quite a long way inland, preventing people from walking there at all, or would need constant replacement / relocation.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Excellent - so we ARE getting further away from Europe :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Does it fall off in one day or bit by bit? I can see a problem if you look over the edge on the wrong day.

Reply to
F Murtz

It's probably not an area for jumpers as Beachy Head is so close. Last time I walked up there the corpse retrieval team were in action, so I overheard all the banter about body parts etc, and got the impression they were up and down those cliffs more often than one might suppose. Depressing, but fascinating in a ghoulish sort of a way.

Reply to
stuart noble

When I was in a youth group somewhat similar to the scouts, we went for a walk along the cliff-top at about the mid-point of the photo. Most of the group went over to the edge, laid on their stomachs and looked over! It was utter madness and I just stood back in disbelief. Even more so that the two leaders said nothing. Times, they have a changed.

Reply to
Andy Cap

The sea erodes the base of the cliff until it can no longer support the chalk above it. The face of the cliff then shears off and drops into the sea, where the rubble protects the base from erosion until it is washed away and the procedure starts all over again. So it really isn't a good idea to get too close to the edge at any time. Too close probably meaning within 10 metres, as the 0.5m-1m is an average and much larger collapses have occurred.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Natural selection works better...

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

Your instinctive hazard perception may be the reason you are still here, and some of them may not be.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've known two dogs to run "over" vertical drops, one survived a 20-30ft drop, the other didn't.

Dogs aren't always as smart as they look.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Oh I bet it is. It looks quite chilly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I visited Beachy Head about 15 years ago and tried that, but just couldn't get my body to obey and get close enough to the edge. I feel quesey just remembering it!

jgh

Reply to
jgh