Op's Not Posting Replies

I thought "peeps" was an Americanism, but sometimes it's hard to differentiate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I first came across it as part of the Harry Enfield catchphrase for his kebab shop owner - "Hello, peeps". As such, the grating has worn off a bit. But I abhor 'puter'..!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The only problem is, when I finally find a question I feel I can offer an opinion on or an answer to, someone else has usually got there first! Not that I'm complaining about that though... it's a happy state of affairs.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

As far as I remember I've only seen it in British posts - but my memory for such things isn't reliable. However, being an Americanism isn't an excuse for using it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Pooter is even worse.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is and I never object to seeing duplication.

My problem is that I usually jump in with two feet and find that someone else has said the same thing beforeme, I could have saved my fingers.

Ah well ...while ever there are kind people like you around it won't matter. The unkind are unimportant.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Unless you're a nobody.

Reply to
Guy King

er ... ?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

'Peeps' is one letter shorter than 'people'. Hardly an abbreviation :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

===================== 'Diary of a nobody' - diarist is Mr. Pooter. Mr. 'peeps' also kept a rather rude diary.

Reply to
Cicero

Oh dear, Mary. I'd expected better!

I actually call computers 'machines'...harks back to my early mainframe days and 'machine rooms'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

George and Weedon Grossmith - "Diary of a Nobody". The protagonist is Mr Pooter.

Reply to
Guy King

er? Sorry! :-) But I'll take that as a compliment!

Good :-) I call mine a machine more often than not.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Grossmith! I remember that - now that you've reminded me. It's been a l-o-n-g time since I read it. A lot of printed pages have been turned over since those days. Don't think it's even on the shelves any more, they've been looted (at our invitation) by children, grandchildren and others to make room for more books.

And of course they always take the books one would really like to keep to read again. One day.

I've begun reading fiction again recently, before I give away more books. Well, that was the aim but ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Permit me to request that we desist from cleaving follicular filaments longitudinally. ;-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

We have Newton to thank for that ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pepys.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It could double the number... useful to baldies.

Enough of all this though, have to see the consultant in a short time, your shrunken head's adornment depends on the outcome.

Oops - not a good expression in the circumstances ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mine gets called a PC, and like most things PC, its as likely to be wrong as right..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The best of luck with that. Don't do anything rash just to pander to my decorative whims.

No, this shrunken head looks quite the sourpuss.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack