oops! coats of paint in wrong order, what next?

Hi all I've been merrily painting a plain wood interior door white:

1) Primer 2) Undercoat 3) Gloss coat #1 4) oops!

4) should have been gloss #2, of course, but I think I must have put undercoat on instead - when I went to inspect things the finish was matt instead of the expected gloss, and there's a small amount of 'crazing' in one area.

Unusually (for me) the tin of undercoat is a small one, ie the size of the tin of gloss, & I guess I've just used the wrong one in my early morning haze...

What to do? I'm guessing that just pressing on and putting two more coats of gloss on should be OK. I can probably live with the crazing, especially if I rub it down a little.

Any alternative suggestions welcome.

Regards J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

This is a matte textured finish and is the latest fashion. Tell the Mrs you read it in John Innes' book on scimblegrazing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just put gloss on. Fingers crossed it may well fill in the crazing. With all those coats on already I doubt you'll need a 2nd coat!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It wont. sand it smooth whe really dry - a week or so for gloss! and apply top.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You might have got away with this (depending on the paint binders), but if it's already visibly crazing then you didn't. Worst of all would be if it wasn't visible yet, but appeared in a week or two when it was too late.

You'll either have to call it a deliberate patina, or else sand / strip off the undercoat. Fortunately these undercoats usually sand quite easily.

Reply to
Andy Dingley