Ontological dilemma

In my workbench, I have four drawers, which are labelled, and contain respectively, metalworking tools, woodworking tools, PPE and assorted "stuff".

Where do I store the tools used to maintain woodworking tools? e.g., the box of chainsaw files? Or my saw set? They are, after all, metalworking tools, but they are for looking after a woodworking tool.

No wonder I can't find my box of fuses. I expect they're stored with the swimming pool chemicals.

Reply to
Huge

You need another drawer and label it "Tool Maintenance"

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And another drawer labelled "Drawer labels".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Thats taxonomy not ontology

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have _drawers_ ?

I have the woodworking shed, the engineering shed and the small crafts / electronics / glassworking shed. Real metalworking and welding is kept some miles away, to reduce the risk of fire.

Of course, can I find a bloody thing? 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"ontology deals with questions concerning what entities exist or can be said to exist, and how such entities can be grouped, related within a hierarchy, and subdivided according to similarities and differences. "

Reply to
Huge

They came with the workbench, so I had to put *something* in them.

Oh, the garage is lined with racking and I have a shed, also, where anything particularly inflammable is kept (integral garage, innit.)

Welcome!

Reply to
Huge

Sadly, there are only 4 drawers in the workbench.

Reply to
Huge

Now read on...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is a man in partial retirement - has time to organise stuff :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not helping though is it?

Reply to
Chris French

But does it deal with /where/ they exist?

Reply to
PeterC

Nope. Taxonomy is however the classification of things that are *held ontologically to exist already*.

I.e. we are not arguing over the existence of 'wood work tool sharpening tools'. (ontology) we are arguing over where to put them (taxonomy)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need to get out more and get a life and find real things to worry about:)

Anyway a proper man would have more metal working tools than would fit in one drawer !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Naah. I don't worry about "real" things.

I do. But I had to put *something* in the drawers. So they're where the small stuff is.

Reply to
Huge

And 1,000 other tool storage questions ...

Do you keep your decent screwdrivers and decent wirecutters together for electrical jobs? Or do good and manky screwdrivers live together, while good and manky wirecutters live together along with pliers?

Do hex shank drill bits live with hex screwdriver bits or with drill bits?

Do plug cutters live with router bits or drill bits?

Do mallets belong near hammers, or near wood chisels? Do cold chisels live near wood chisels or lump hammers?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Huge,

I've got six drawers in the benchs for general storage and a number of wall cupboards to hold power tools; as well as a thumping great toolbox made about 60 years ago parked on stand beside my main bench - and this old pensioner has no need th label any of them, as I know precisely what's in them. And that includes hardware and fixings.

A great boon for my kids, as they are forever borrowing the workshop and my tools (and using materials they never pay for) - and if they can't find what they want they just ask dad (or in the case of the grandkids [including the girls amongst them], their Gramps).

Youngster these days, if it's not listed in a computerised database, they can't find it - now where's my bloody T-square. :-)

Cash

Reply to
Cash

On 02 Mar 2015, Huge grunted:

So you need a second workbench then. Too easy...

Reply to
Lobster

Or couple of bins under the workbench.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Empty the drawer labelled "Pieces of string too short to be of any possible use".

Reply to
newshound