Only just DIY (but I think some readers will like it)

Just came across this quote from the excellent Microsoft Word MVP web site, highly recommended if you are a reasonably serious WORD user.

"By the end of this exercise, you will realise that Word's default settings are all designed for the knee-cap-level user, and that we have to spend a lot of time undoing them. {Begin Political Rant} I hereby give you permission to think unkindly of the Product Marketing Department, which took the world's finest word processor and ruined it in order to reinforce the misconceptions of people who should not be left unsupervised with a pencil!!! {end political rant}."

Reply to
newshound

what, WordPerfect?

Word *is* awful.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

+1 to both of those!
Reply to
John Rumm

Especially the 2007 and later versions.

Reply to
Mark

Word is unusable without help from the paper-clip.

Reply to
alan

Which equates to "Word is unusable". The paper-clip is the most useless thing since, umm, a long time ago.

I actually liked Word 2 for the Mac. Hated early PC versions. Sort of liked again as it became like the Mac version. Then started to scream in utter frustration as they kept changing things ...

Reply to
polygonum

In article , Nick writes

Then why did you reply? It is relevant because I was asking a GG poster to consider modifying his replies to make them more readable given the drawbacks of his chosen posting medium.

It has nothing to do with the newsreader, it is the poster's chosen posting medium that is mangling replies by injecting double spacing and irrelevant characters.

I didn't write anything about that, read again.

I didn't write anything about that, read again.

Good for you.

You're clearly not sorry, why say you are?

Reply to
fred

No, its unusable with it. And not much better without

WYGINWYT

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not quite. I find Office Help absolutely useless...and my colleagues do too. The solution is the alternate Office help - a.k.a. Google - which works a treat.

Reply to
Bob Eager

+1

Also works well because when you want to know "How the bloody hell do I get Word to do ", if you ask Google you'll quickly find loads of rants about the bug that means that Word can't do "X", or that Microsoft decided not to implement "X" - as opposed to Office Help, which will be mysteriously 100% silent on the issue

David

Reply to
Lobster

That makes you an arse on so many levels.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Exactly. Only last night I wanted the keyboard shortcut for strikethough (there isn't one). But I found out how to make one!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Odd that you should bother, IMO. I OTOH found it easy enough to add to the formatting toolbar.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Seconded.

Although it's rare that I'll read a post where no new content fits on the screen, let alone reply to it, so I only really find it annoying when one of the regular posters who Have a Clue do it; it's not too much of an inconvenience otherwise to just delete a 'problem' post and move on.

Re. top-posting, I think MS mail clients were where I first saw it, although it quite possibly 'began' elsewhere - but with the amount of people out there using MS software it sadly became commonplace, even though it's so obviously the wrong way to do things :-(

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That is is partly down to the conflation of "usenet as a type of email" they did. You can make some argument for the top post, while trailing a growing history of responses below approach in corporate environments, where during a conversation between two people you may need to copy in additional people along the way, and have all the previous history available to them in one hit rather than just the context to make sense of the current reply. However that approach is completely pointless in a threaded hierarchical organisation like usenet.

Reply to
John Rumm

To avoid my hands having to leave the keyboard.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You have spare braincells available to remember keyboard shortcuts? Gosh.

Reply to
Tim Streater

TBH I prefer "bottom" posting in emails too as it's more logical but even fewer people do this. It's got worse recently since loads of emails are cluttered with useless confidentiality messages and adverts. These are even less likely to be snipped when "top-posting".

Reply to
Mark