OneCall: Farnell/CPC higher education discount

Despite being a customer for four decades, I'll *never* deal with them again 'online' as their new 'improved' website offers the crappiest user interface I've *ever* seen.

Reply to
The Other Mike

In article , The Other Mike scribeth thus

Yes quite the kings new clothes. If they had any sense they'd just put the old one back in place. I had to use the paper catalogue to find a few items the other week.

Pile of doggie doo;(....

Reply to
tony sayer

Be my guest. Though this is not primarily a student discount scheme: the discounts have been negotiated by a consortium of universities, because universities spend a lot on components, both for teaching and research. Staff/student discounts are just an extra side benefit (and I'm not entirely sure why they provide it).

(Discounts are available to universities in the NUWPEC consortium: the Fred Bloggs Garden Shed Academy doesn't count)

Student discounts for software are a different prospect entirely and are more like student bank accounts: they want to get you hooked on MS Windows/Office/etc so that you cough up for the full version later on.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I like Bitsbox for some odd bits. Mainly because the postage is always

1.50 and there is no minimum order charge. Quick service too! Not a big range, but most of the essentials are there.
Reply to
mick

Yep, discovered this accidentally a couple of years back when I ordered something from CPC.

I have a credit card registered at my work address so I can get stuff delivered there without hassle (from the supplier anyway...). I placed the order, then got a phonecall a few mins later saying they would have to cancel the order as it was an educational address but it was ok, they had created me a onecall account and reordered there. They sorted it all.

Used them quite a few times since. Excellent :)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Once you are logged into onecall you definately see the reduced prices (ex VAT though IIRC).

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I've always had my CPC orders delivered to the same building as you, but never got offered onecall. It isn't fair!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry, I assumed you knew :-)

Apparantly it was the credit card registered address that triggered it.

Maybe I got lucky :)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman