On the subject of tumble-dryers - vented v. condensing

I know this has come up many, many times before; I've spent the last hour or so reading about it, nut I'm still no closer to an answer.

We will soon be purchasing a tumble-dryer. It will be installed in our utility/leanto. This is a poorly insulated, unheated room. I have easy access to an outside wall for venting, and to a drain for condensor runoff.

I'm trying to decide which to go for. Main argument for venting is that it seems to make more sense. Evaporate water, blow steam outside, end of story. It feels right and sensible.

But, a condensing dryer would chuck out lots of heat into the room. This is very desireable in this situation, since it would warm up the utility room. My only concern is performance, they seem to get rather mixed reviews.

So, has anyone experienced both types, of a similar quality? Which one performed better? By how much?

TIA

Reply to
Grunff

I bought a Hotpoint IWD12 (integrated condesning washer dryer) because it looked like it took one of the largest loads and the wash load and dry load seemed closer to each other (so I wouldn't always have to remove part of the wash prior to drying cycle). I'm not overlee impressed with it, normal wash cycle seems to take ages...shortest cycle is about 50 mins. I don't know whether that's a sideeffect of a Washer Dryer (never had one combined before).

Also the drying takes a long time and you have to take the stuff out pretty promptly when it completes to vent the steam of everything otherwise the load just gets damp again...which may be a sideeffect of a condensing dryer...certainly never had that problem with my mums Dryer. Incidently, as an integrated appliance, it looks like the door is beginning to show affects of steam which escapes from the soap drawer, so it's best to leave the door open during a drying cycle.

Ant.

Reply to
ANt

Both myself and my mother have excellent quality tumble dryers. I have a Bosch sensor condensing integrated dryer, whilst my mother has a Miele sensor vented freestanding dryer.

I would go for the condensor every time. Both dryers perform superlatively. Nothing to choose between them. The sensing is reliable and the clothes dry.

However, the condensor has some advantages:

  1. The dryer provides more heat to the room, without compromising energy efficiency.

  1. There is no need to core drill an ugly hole in the wall.

  2. When you get a replacement model, you can be sure that the old hole is the wrong size.

  1. You can rearrange the appliances and move rooms and still run the dryer, without needing to drill a new hole and fill the old one. You can even install in a bedroom, for example, provided you use the collection tray instead of plumbing in the drainage.

  2. The vented dryer ALWAYS gets its hose in a twist, meaning you are constantly attempting to remove the machine and untangle the hose. It is impossible to keep it untangled whilst pushing it back and the machine juts out 15cm, as otherwise, it would crush the hose between the machine and the wall.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Super, thanks for the detail.

Are you saying all vented driers have to sit 15cm forward of the wall? I've seen this mentioned before, but thought maybe it was just a one off. That kind of rules out under-worktop fitting, right?

Reply to
Grunff

I must say, not too many good things have been said about washer/dryers over the years, so I'm not amazed by your experience. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Grunff

Well, you could remove the washing machine adjacent and then get behind the machine to ensure that the hose concertinas up (rather than sags down) to get the tumbler right next to the wall. However, I usually find it easier to install the washing machine with the tumble dryer removed (as the washing machine is heavy and having a missing appliance next door makes it easier to jiggle into place).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Having used both my preference is for the direct venting type. The condensing type produce quite a lot of (damp) heat in the room which may be a good thing in winter but not so smart in summer. Depending on where you install it this can be a significant issue. The condenser also takes quite a lot longer to dry the same amount of clothes (about an hour longer for a full load, this wasn't a problem for us as we ran it overnight) and uses about 15% more energy than a vented type.

Most condensing driers use a collection vessel rather than a drain so you have to empty the thing every time you use it and also clean the condenser coils every month or do.

However, the major issue for me was the amount of water vapour the condensing dryer vented into the room. The best driers only extract about 80-90% of the water vapour which still leaves fair bit getting into the room but some manage significantly less. I don't think extraction effectiveness is quoted by manufacturers. It was the escape of water vapour which I found most irritating. How you use the dryer might affect your perception of the problem. If you do the drying while cooking is going on its unlikely you will notice particularly (although in the summer it makes the room both hot and muggy) but if you dry things at night it is more apparent.

Our tumble dryer has hose about 6 inches long which mates with the dryer and concertinas when you push it back against the wall. The dryer sits nicely under the worksurface. I do accept the point that if we get a replacement some innovation might be needed :-).

Reply to
Peter Parry

I have just bought a new tumble dryer and discounted the condensing type because they cost a lot more and because of the reported problem with condensation. The model we bought was White Knight and I think the quality is very good and the price was outstanding, especially as it made in Britain.

I think the model was a White Knight 447WV Tumble Dryer and cost about =A3130

We bought our first tumble dryer in 1981 and it cost about the same, but it did last nearly 20 years. This was a Zanussi. This was replaced by another Zanussi which was crap and didn't last very long at all.

Reply to
deckertim

I got a very expensive Bosch condenser drier (the most expensive model) in place of a simple vented Hoover tumble drier. I'm very pleased with the change. The venting went through a cat-flap in a door, which was unsatisfactory in the winter.

It isn't necessary to empty the water container after each drying - maybe every 5 sessions. One also has to take fluff off a filter - very simple, as the filter simply lifts out of the door - also every 5 sessions or so. The manual does not suggest that one should "clean the condenser coils".

There is certainly a small amount of humidity, but this is in a utility room, and does not cause any inconvenience.

The main advantage of the new drier is that it has a sensor which turns it off when the clothes are dry - I'd say that is more important than the kind of drier, particularly if you want to save money.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Also, it can be plumbed into a nearby drainage point, to save the bother.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If you do go for a condenser, avoid the Bosch WTL6003. We bought one at the beginning of the year - plagued by a mysterious and intermittent leak. Had it swapped out and the replacement does the same thing. Disinterested Bosch customer service hasn't made me feel any happier... tony

Reply to
Tony

We've got a 6920 and we've not have any problems with it, so can't vouch for customer service!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No, I have every intention of avoiding Bosch washers and dryers after my washing machine experience (other thread).

Reply to
Grunff

Hi,

Would have thought it's possible to use a washing line or airer in the summer, or even open the window if it's too hot.

What would be handy is a condenser that can use hot water from the CH.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

That depends on the model. My previous one was a horrible Hoover, that did raise the humidity. It would take many cycles to fill the container. The Bosch could fill its huge container after drying one wash. And that was after the clothes came out of a 1600 spin washing machine. There is no noticeable increase in humidity when it is running, although the room does get warmer. It is now plumbed in, so I don't have to empty the container.

The condensor would work best with cold water, not hot. I suppose you could use it as a heat source on the CH, but this would fail as cost-benefit analysis. You already get the advantage in that the room with the dryer warms up, causing its TRV to turn off, saving on CH costs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I bought a Creda model T622CW last year and am delighted. Drying takes the same time as my old vented model. There is no hint of moisture in the room. It is the quietest dryer I have ever had. I could highly recommend. Regards Bob

Reply to
robert

snip

I think the model was a White Knight 447WV Tumble Dryer and cost about £130

We bought our first tumble dryer in 1981 and it cost about the same, but it did last nearly 20 years. This was a Zanussi. This was replaced by another Zanussi which was crap and didn't last very long at all.

snip

Croslee dryers (White Knight) make dryers for Bosch Zanussi Whirlpool Tricity Bendix amongst others.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Hi,

I was under the impression that the condenser models used the lower temperature air of the room they are in for the condensing.

What I meant was, to use the hot water from the CH to heat the air in the tumbledryer. This would require an extra heater matrix but would mean cheaper gas is used for the heating instead of electricity

True, but if gas is used indirectly and the room would be heated anyway by a radiator, then the only cost incurred is for the removal of water from the laundry.

More 'green' too as gas is used directly instead of indirectly through less efficient generation.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thermostats havent gone yet then, they will.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I can't comment on condensing dryers because I've never had one, but I understand that the air vented tends to be somewhat humid, even so.

To answer your positioning question, I can comment on the Miele vented dryer that we've had for over ten years - you're not surprised that this is what's in use are you? :-)

Four good things.

We have the washer with the dryer stacked on the top. Because of the weight of the washer, there is no movement of the stack, even when the machine spins with a load of towels.

The stacking kit is excellent and has a very solid pull-out shelf, which is really useful for parking a bowl when loading and unloading the dryer.

The vent pipe is a tee arrangement at the bottom - i.e. you can vent directly out of the back by aligning the port with a hole in the wall, or you can have the vent on either side open instead so that you can vent sideways (if in a corner).

The washer has similar good pipework arrangements and the result is that you can put the entire stack right back against the wall so that it doesn't project in front of a 600mm worktop.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall