Olympics should give fillip to housing market

There will be thousands of visitors in 2012. But well before then the numbers living in the south east will rise dramatically as building work for the games starts and grows. This can only mean that the housing market will begin to pick up. Hopefully, this new mood of optimism will then spread rapidly to other parts of the country, including my street.

MM

Reply to
MM

Do you think a return to a highly inflationary housing market is a good thing /:-)

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

No need for that, if they just allowed people to build on all those subsidised fields laying idle.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

But they are going to do that in some areas in any case. And brownfield as in my own village.

Reply to
AlexW

I suppose it helps for the subsidy then. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

There is masses of affordable qualty hosung stock in this country, the problem being its in places nobody wants to live.

Have a look on rightmove, and see how many 3 bed, stone built terrached houes you can get in for example Burnley, for the price of a garrage inside Red Kens London Congestion Charing zone.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In message , MM writes

Not quite sure why this should happen for something which only lasts for a few weeks. Builders will drive down in gangs and stay in B & B's, or live in the van. Or they will come from Eastern Europe and live in the cheapest poor quality accommodation. When it's all over, they will clear off with the money.

The major effect will be of making the immediate area more attractive to live in, thus increasing prices locally, and making it attractive for the developers - this is all that happened in Manchester with the Commonwealth Games. Anything else was just the market doing its' stuff.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Not a fan of Olympics so only good angle to me it was 1 in le chops for Msr Chirac!!

Reply to
Gel

Oh yeah, the housing market's so depressed. Supply exceeds demand, houses are being sold so cheaply even the unemployed can afford one.

Or do you just mean that your own house with a collapsing sewer system hasn't increased by 20% in three months?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are you saying Manchester never benefitted? Man City got a brand new superb stadium out of it too.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Not enough.

Most brownfields in cities should be left and greened over. A perfect opportunity to get our cities right after the Victorians ruined them and the post war cheapoes added more negative hell-hole value.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It did,but I thought the thread was about house prices....or am I reading it wrong?

Reply to
trenchfoot

There are two others, for the Fishers.

a) they're not in Leeds

b) we don't have a telly.

I think that c)is also possible but Spouse won't have it.

c) we probably shan't be alive.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Only a few days ago, you were planning to live for ever!

Reply to
Set Square

I know. But this news has made me lose the will to live!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In case you hadn't noticed most of those fields are growing things like wheat, hay or sheep.

Reply to
Mike

Me too! The whole country will be taxed to the hilt in order to massage the egos of a few failed polititions. Why the hell couldn't they give it to Timbuktu or somewhere - or *anywhere* but London?!

As for saying that the whole country was behind the bid - that's another bit of New Labour spin - I haven't yet found *one* person who thinks it's a good idea!

Reply to
Set Square

Apart from those paid to be "set aside"!

Reply to
Set Square

;-)

Well, much though it pains me to say but my wife came home tonight saying that many of her workmates were all excited over the news .. (mind you the same people get excited over Corination St and Big Brother)

When she was asked she thought about it she said what she thought .. 'can't see what all the fuss is about'? Once the dust settled she did speak to some on a one to one and they admitted they were sorta going along with the flow ..?

I know *I'm* a heathen .. I'm not into art, poetry, books the balet etc .. I just do what I do and don't expect (or want) anyone waving flags or getting all excited over it? I have won it for me? If I win a race a 'well done' or shake of the hand will suffice .. Maybe I'm just not an extravert?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:23:31 +0100,it is alleged that "Mary Fisher" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I don't know, they could introduce extra sporting events to

a) bring it more into the realm of public participation, and

b) bring relevance to this group, such as Synchronized Plastering,

100m cable chasing sprint, timed patio laying

Interestingly, does anyone know what they're going to do about the olympic target pistol shooting, seeing as the competitors could be arrested for trying that here?

Reply to
Chip