olives: copper or brass?

Hello,

Which are best: copper olives or brass olives (and why) or isn't there any difference?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

But for plain copper pipe, is there any difference?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

Prolly not much: I tend to prefer copper olives on copper pipe as I figure the brass ones are more likely to distort the pipe whereas the copper ones will squash themselves as well as the pipe, if they're overtightened a bit. But in practice it's not usually an issue (except for compression joints on fully-annealed pipe e.g. microbore, which is the dveil's own work).

Reply to
YAPH

Copper olives are for when there may be disconnection and the old olive easily removed and a new olive fitted. Difficult to do with brass as they may dig into the copper pipe, unless you have an olive remover. Makers always stipulate that new olives are fitted after disconnection.

With modern thread sealants this now appears a little out of date. But, makers say do not use any tape or sealing compound. With quality compression fittings and pipe not using compound can make a good seal, but most sold are not high quality fittings.

Plastic pipe companies vary. Some say copper olives, some say brass.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Also, brass are more suitable for higher water pressures, as the brass olive digs into the pipe and less liable to blow the fitting off the pipe - I have seen that a few times.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you're best man at a wedding and you want to do the trick with dropping the rings or flinging them across the church accidently as you yank your hankerchief out of your pocket, you have to use 22mm brass ones. Copper ones don't sound anything like genuine gold rings as they go bouncing across the stone floor and fall through a grating.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Heh! Bit past it for my circle of friends but sounds good. But 22mm? That's American fingers, innit? :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

An olive puller is worth every penny. And yes, they do work.

Reply to
Appin

For disconnection it is difficult at times to get an olive puller in, while a copper olive can be easily prised off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you do the joint correctly you can pull the olives off with some pliers without damaging the pipe. I removed 10 22 mm ones on Saturday that had been on my heating for 25 years and put in some new pipe work. Only one of them were stuck and that was probably my fault as I had put a turn onto the nut before I realised I was going the wrong way.

Reply to
dennis

It was definitely better. A couple of us, dressed in top hats and tails, tried quite a few out in the plumber's merchants on the way to the church...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel