old style gas oven with lid

Hi everyone - I've had a look through uk-diy for any posts related to faulty gas ovens but can't find any so here goes...

My gas oven has a fault on it such that when the lid is fully open the flames to each of the rings is reduced to "simmer level", but when the lid is closed by a few degrees the rings burn fully again.

I can see that the right hand hinge of the lid is connected to the gas inlet to some sort of cutoff mechanism.

Do these mechanisms tend to break down and if so can they be replaced simply or fixed easily?

All advice gratefully received.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Commonly,the hinge mechaism bears on some kind of lever/pushrod mechanism which operates a gas valve. They tend to get gunged up or the lubricant dries a little so that when you operate the lid,the pushrod sticks. Give the area around the cut off valve pushrod a squirt with some aerosol lubricant such as WD40 and operate the lid a few times,hopefully all will be well..

joe

Change the 900 to 670 in the return email address to reply

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Bear in mind that recently sprayed WD40 is inflammable, so wait an hour or two for the solvent to evaporate before lighting the rings on your cooker.

Reply to
Jan Wysocki

Thanks for the replies. Do I need to take anything apart before given it a quirt ?

Reply to
Charlie