Old scaffolding tower

My son needs some means of reaching the guttering of a stone outbuilding. Access is via a narrow gravel path or a lot of stone steps. He has ladders, but they are not quite long enough for the multi-level ground.

I have a scaffolding tower system that looks as though it can be assembled into a 4 foot by 2 foot tower or 4 x 4 tower by assembling the parts differently.

Construction is galvanised steel frames that fit together with diagonal bracing pieces, the tubing being approx 2" o/d and 1.5" o/d. We have 4 wheels and 2 plates for under the bottom frames. There are also 4 pointed tubes, which we think might be used with some of the bracing type rods as outriggers.

It was bought for use by my parents in a bungalow, so only goes up to about 10 to 12 feet (I forgot to measure this). Since they died, it has been outside our house in the elements for about 20 years and there is no sign of rust or other decay.

Labels on the boards say Mills Scaffolding Co Ltd and Bantam SelfLock. I seem to remember it was bought from Stoke via an advert in Exchange and Mart.

We think there are enough frames to reach the 20 feet or so that he needs, so the immediate need is for more diagonal bracing pieces for the

4 x 4 tower. These are simply poles with the 2" o/d tubing rings welded to each end.

Would there be a source of these anywhere? We could probably get them welded up locally, but if we can find something already made and galvanised, that would be good.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

Two diagonal braces is adequate: each one forms a pair of triangles. Use one on the bottom stage and the second near the top at 90deg.

I have something similar here which goes to 16'0". Not sure about your pointed tubes; they may be extension pieces.

You should also have two 4'0" poles with welded rings. these are needed for locking the final pair of sections (top) together.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Rather than hunt around for custom parts I'd just get something like these

a few suitable lengths of scaffold pole.

Reply to
Newshound

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Thanks for that. We were probably being too scared of it and thinking we needed a diagonal at every section.

They have a point at one end and a tiny welded ring a few inches down at the other. There are 4 of them and we also have some poles with rings that don't match either the 4x2 assembly or the 4x4. We have done a dummy assembly with the poles and tubes as hammer in to the lawn stabilisers and they do all seem to fit.

Yes, we do. So the final top sections form guardrails, I assume. We also seem to have amateur-made wooden planks that look like toe-rails. We did wonder whether the pointed tubes would fit on top and form guardrails with the 4 foot poles and need the toerails, but that seems a bit unlikely.

Thanks for that. It is all becoming clear now.

Reply to
Bill

Imho ss fixings resinned into brickwork are safer.

NT

Reply to
NT

Two diagonals is OK, I have just such a tower assembled outside the end of our house at the moment to re-screw the lapped wood on the end of the house. There are five 'levels', I've put the diagonals at the top of the first level and the top of the third level.

That's certainly what ours has, four (two short and two long) guard rails around the top.

Reply to
tinnews

Undoubtedly!

However, these steel 4x4 towers are VERY HEAVY and stable on flat ground. Safety rails, kick boards etc. are another matter. I have just finished using mine (free standing) to fit conduit and lights in an agricultural barn at about 18'. Climbing a ladder and then stepping on to the edge of the platform was unconcerning. 95kg + wellies:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

replying to Bill, terry wrote: hi bill where are you situated i need a small scaffold. Regards terry

Reply to
terry

Why who are you going to hang? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I do not think you will get to Mills the original manufacturer. I have the same system and use suitable lengths of scaff tubes, with scaff clamps to create cross braces. For info, the sides came in 2 sizes, usually 14 of the long length and 8 of the short in a kit. With it came 2 different lengths for the diagonals that slipped over the top of the sides. You may have 4 uprights that slip into the top corners. These use different shorter sections with smaller end rings to create your safety section. You should find scaff clamps will attach to the top, wider section of the sides; this allows for cross bracing and if you get rotating fittings, allows for extra ground bracing.

Reply to
Geoffrey Lewis

After ten years I'm not sure you will get to Bill the original poster.

Reply to
Bertie