Old Piano.

In message , mich writes

Have you asked around your local schools, clubs etc, they might just take it off your hands and make good use of it

Reply to
raden

Keep it, take piano lessons, and paint your front door green.

Er, well, OK, give it away, then. Someone will be very glad of it, especially if it's got an iron frame. They aren't as common as they once were.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

In article , stuart noble :-)

That applies to everything.

My sister in law was recently offered (from the local dealer) 200 quid for a baby grand of little known name (Rogers) which is in anything but perfect condition. It's neither been played or tuned in 20 years and is badly faded on one side due to exposure to sunlight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My neighbours were so impressed with my efforts at playing the piano they used to break the windows so they could hear me better.

One of my nieces saved a real old joanna from the scrap heap and had it tuned. It's not quite in the same class as SWMBO's Zimmerman baby grand, but even a jangly old piano is better than no piano at all.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

Don't you mean "a song to sing"?

Reply to
raden

Awww, nice :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was a musical child and (pitifully) practiced the piano on a cardboard template cos my family couldn't afford a piano. You have to have grade 5 piano to study music at university, even if you are a virtuoso something-else-ist. I'm 32, could have changed since. If you get in touch with your local education authority and ask about instumental peripatetic (sp?) teachers, they might be able to sort something out. simp.

Reply to
simpi

I learnt to play on such a piano. My mother bought it cheaply and had it tuned. Wasn't perfect but then I don't have the best ear anyway. Still can play a load of Xmas songs I learnt then.

Reminds me of the music teacher that came to the house. She was a real old biddy, tweed skirt etc. She had quite a beard. She also had buck teeth and used to make hissy sounds when she spoke. This affliction led to small bits of spit flying from her mouth. When you are 7, such things were hard to deal with. She would give an instruction and a bit of spit would land on a key, and I would be totally grossed out as kids would say now. I'd avoid that key like the plague and play wrong notes rather than touch the lurgied key- getting my knuckles rapped with a ruler for my efforts.

Ah happy days. So sell it and let some kids enjoy similiar happy memories.

Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

And with modern DNA extraction methods and cloning, you never know, they might even be able to recreate the old biddy! Imagine a spittle-flecked wizened chin appearing like eddies of smoke from the gaps between the keys, to rise up, coalesce and form the indomitable Miss Tweedy, stroking her beard and picking her teeth. It's enough to put off any seven-year-old going near a piano!

On the other hand, my teacher was a female German music student from the Musikhochschule in Cologne, was about 22, had amazing threepenny bits and a figure to die for. I practised avidly. I think I was about

32 at the time.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I was the original poster of this query - and mine was a genuine question.

Thanks to all who gave answers.

I have decided to put an ad in the free ads in the local weekly paper and offer it as free to a good home, buyer collects. If no takers , I'll have to see about getting it taken away and paying for it.

Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
mich

Remove the bits and the top part makes a cocktail cab with drop front and the bottom storage for drinks.The key area (with keys removed) for glass.

Reply to
aegxgea

Yet another suggestion if you find no takers is to consider offering parts of it to the local tech college. My brother used a piano keyboard to build a synthesizer as a project at his college. He only used the keyboard, nothing else. He added loads of electrical contacts, wires and stuff and put an inordinate amount of effort into it.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Good Heavens! It used to be grade 8 even for a college ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

ER - be careful, it might happen to you. If you're lucky enough to live ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

She probably wasn't that much older than I am now Mary, she has children younger than me. She was just one of life's strange creatures. Probably born with a tweed skirt on. She called her son Archibald which even in the

1970's was very outdated.
Reply to
Suz

Never has been grade 8 for a music degree, even at Oxbridge.

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble" >> have grade 5 piano to study music at university,

It was for one our daughters ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't think universities are interested in how well you play because the courses are mainly academic. Different at the music colleges of course. I hope your daughter went on to do something more profitable :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble" courses are mainly academic. Different at the music colleges of course. I

She became a cabinet maker (after meeting a design student at college), they ran a mail order very fine custom designed and made furniture business then they bought a small farm in Wales on which they rear rare breed sheep and cattle and have obtained organic status. That feeds them (and us, partly), they still do the cabinet making for other bills.

She also plays double bass and violin with several Welsh orchestras and has even found bass pupils in the Welsh mountains - one who has just gained her Grade 8 ...

It's not financially profitable but very satisfying. They consider that they're privileged to be doing what they want and being beholden to no-one.

I agree, a hand to mouth life can have its own riches.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What a thought! One of the best arguments against cloning I've heard yet! lol Suzanne

Reply to
Suz