Old phone chargers

but utilising the entire (14 stone) body mass gently. I imagine getting up to speed will be the problem as only the middle of the stroke would be doi ng anything as in a petrol engine. Therefore a flywhel will need to be inco rporated.

You'd barely get a watt.

or are you on Tiny 95?

feeble

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

maybe because it's just an idea lacking in the basic sense department.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can?

Sorry mate. Not sure what that has to do with what we were talking about?

Whoosh .. ;-(

It would would it? It seems strange that if you are happy to have someone work like a donkey, generating tiny amounts of electricity for a lot of effort (that requires food and water) that you aren't providing such solutions over there yourself?

I don't know, who was?

I can't be me as I was trying to wrap some tangible facts around your less than logical thought train.

Have you ever designed, built and raced an electric vehicle OOI? Have you owned and used a Sinclair C5? Do you own an electrically assisted bike? Have you ever tried to 'upgrade' the wattage of the lamps on your dynamo powered cycle lights and found it was like cycling though molasses? Do you own a clockwork radio or a wind-up-torch?

What size solar panel do you take to charge batteries when you go cycle camping?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

There was a bit of the TV a while ago took a lot of people around 25 odd of them pedalling furiously to boil an electric kettle!.

Dunno if its still there but in the science museum there was a hand cranked genny, took a lot of effort to light a 30 watt light bulb!...

Reply to
tony sayer

The warmth in the piss would more useful.

For the small amount power such a generator would produce it would be better for lots of things just to use human input directly, just like we used to . Using hand powered can openers for the occasional can, hand whisk for beating some eggs , push along mower for a postage stamp sized lawn, hand pushed carpet sweeper for the odd crumb on the floor all used to be normal but some people now would be aghast if they couldn't used such items without a motor in them either direct from the mains or via rechargeable batteries. In a DIY context some people will spend longer getting a cordless drill out of its case and making sure it has a charge in it than it would take to pick up a simple hand drill and drill one or two holes and others who have never used a decent sharp handsaw don't realise how quick they can be.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

That can't possibly be right. I know because I've been to Whitelees wind farm visitors centre and in there they have a bicycle wheel that you can crank by hand.

It spins around jolly easily and lights up oodles of big incandescent lamps, each about 40W.

I mean, they wouldn't lie to us would they? ;-)

I actually have complained to them on a couple of occasions about the gross misrepresentation but nothing changes. How are kids supposed to get a feel for *real* energy conversion if they're being lied to by power generators?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh the benighted ignorance. Energy is not watts per hour. AS you point out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

about 10 seconds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Amazing what you can find on Youtube;}.

Not the part that i was referring to but in this clip 78 pedalling to run an electric shower so assume thats 10 kW

So a 2.5 watt electric kettle a quarter of that so 78 dived by 4 is 19.5 so say 20 persons?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Most of them are around the 5v mark but there were weird and wonderful ones with other voltages and an insane number of randomly shaped connectors in the dim and distant past. Even worse for laptops.

You could provided that everything is switched off.

ITYM 200Whr = 0.2kWhr which is a measure of energy.

200W is also about the energy consumption of a human at rest. You can do about that much work but anything beyond about 100W work output is hard to sustain for an extended period unless you are an athelete.

We had a static bike connected to a dynamo with a choice of no load, 60W incandescent or CFL 60W equivalent as a demo. Most people were horrified at how hard it was to drive the mere 60W lightbulb load. It spent a lot of time glowing rather dimly when in circuit. A couple of keen cyclists used to working out on spinners could do it OK but mere mortals were out of breath before the 2 minutes was up.

It was very instructive to switch to the low energy light bulb. Most people could power that reasonably well without getting out of breath.

Everyone could do it with no load at all.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Quite. ;-)

The thing is, only people who have no real clue will confuse someone offering real-world-facts with anything else.

When I was regularly driving my electric Moke about you would get the odd person who came up with the 'unique' idea of 'having a dynamo running off one of the tyres, charging it up as you drove along' ... or a paddle wheel connected to a dynamo charging up the battery in your electric outboard boat. I mean it's nice they tried to think about such things but a shame that the didn't understand the basics (including 'perpetual motion'). ;-)

Yup.

;-)

I was in Dads workshop yesterday and came across the hand driven version of a 'heavy drill'. I think it had a shoulder rest on the end like a stock on an assault rifle and was much bigger than yer typical 'hand drill'.

Absolutely, including hacksaws cutting stuff like stainless steel bolts.

I salvaged a load of battens from a shed the other day and cut them all up into shorter lengths for another project for my Mums garden. A pair of saw horses and a nice sharp fine toothed panel saw had each cut done in just a few strokes (in fact I had to 'ease off' or I'd have cut them through too fast). ;-)

A dustpan and brush can still be very useful.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Reply to