Old phone chargers

Maybe she meant she 'never changed any of these things *routinely* but only when they went wrong'?

I have a mate who hadn't changed the engine oil on his car for over

100,000 miles but it did consume a bit so was done to some degree constantly albeit only partially so.

Maybe if an engine is clean burning, lightly loaded and not (therefore) shedding much metal, would a filter not necessarily block after such a time but just become a finer filter?

I know I have repeatedly serviced some engines and found the oil looking (smelling and feeling) pretty clean after quite some use and others where the new oil is very dirty the next day (especially diesels).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think he was talking about phones but I don't believe you were.

Depending on your sense if humour, possibly 'nothing'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The guy who serviced our PDP-8s in the 1970s did 55,000 pa business miles. Just think about it.

Reply to
newshound

In the weeks I was working out of the office I often drove over 1000 miles. Highest was just under 1500 miles.

Reply to
charles

It was standrad for company 'repmobiles' to be sold a year on unserviced ever with 75,000+ miles on te clock

I did many miles just commuting in around 6 months. 140 miles a day, 5 days a week...700 miles a week. add in another 50 at weekends.

26 weeks of that put 20,000 miles on.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You still haven't told us the basic specs, so it seems pointless to continue with the question.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have a variety of stuff including a couple of 12 to 3V regulators. The Nokias are both 3.7V 355mA

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The toys are 3v, the charger 3.7v. As long as the toys can live on 355mA or less, I'd cut the plug off the charger and add a diode to drop the output to about 3v. Robert will then be mysteriously related, as long as you don't connect it up wrong.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Apropos of nothing in particular what sort of output do bicycle hub dynamos generate? Wikipedia indicate 5 watts of work is required for 3 of electrical but what is that in sweat?

And does anyone know if you are just using the machine for exercise what endeavours you would have to get up to to fire up a car generator?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Not much. Nothing at junctions.

about 5 watts human output.

about this much ||

PS it might not be a bad plan to ask questions that actually have a meaningful answer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Saw an article on Facebook saying you could power your house all day with an hour's use of a pedal operated generator.

Of course if that power consisted of a few dim LEDs for a few hours, you maybe could. Otherwise, sounds like one of harry's posts.

The sort of accepted energy output of a reasonably fit human is about 200w per hour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are we back to your 'DIY computer psu chair' thread?

In any system you have input energy, losses and output energy. If you try to human-power something that is capable of producing loads more in the way of output power than the human could ever provide then the chances are the background losses will also be quite high.

A good example of this would be Cedric Lynches electric / solar outboard motor design.

(Scroll down to Cedric)

He found that if you used a conventional sealed underwater metal gearbox, with it's oil lubrication and oil retaining seals, the background losses (drag) would be considerable, compared with the typical energy available associated with such things.

So, he designed an underwater gearbox that could be lubricated by (river) water and therefore there was no need for the oil and hence the 'lossy' seals. ;-)

So, if you want to (human) power something that requires 200 W then you would probably be better off with a generator good for that and a bit, rather than something good for 10 kW etc.

A good example of overloading a (human powered) generator is trying to run 10W lamps on your bicycle dynamo.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So after 8 hours pedalling the human is delivering 1.6kW? Surely we can get energy v.s. power units right here, of all places?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This relaively unfit sedentary human only wants to rock gently to and fro b ut utilising the entire (14 stone) body mass gently. I imagine getting up t o speed will be the problem as only the middle of the stroke would be doing anything as in a petrol engine. Therefore a flywhel will need to be incorp orated.

The latest thinking is that 1hour of exercie is needed to compensate for ei ght hours sitting down watching youtubes. I have no idea how they work tha t out. But I could get 9 hours in like that between second breakfasts and q uarter to and past elevenses.

Why are you even using Windows let alone windows 95?

Is it because you have the low wattage thought capacity of a tabbyatgmail o r are you on Tiny 95?

Come to think of it with a maximum of 2GB=ram capacity and frequent defra gs you'd do alright on a PIII or even better on an Athlon with relatively l ow power consumption.

Well done especially if you are on a Tiny version

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

endeavours you would have to get up to to fire up a car generator?

You can sneer but the richest south American country or rather the one with the largest oil reserves on the planet can't make the budget balance. I be lieve this is due to the CIA trying to get its hands on the oil. Or at leas t I would Alex Jones that explanation over anything more simple.

A simple spinning wheel type of home generator these days would provide a r emarkable improvement in so many lives at very little outlay. Why take the piss?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Absolutely not. It would never do not to give people something to whinge about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

200W for how long?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Then you'll produce considerably less power than a cyclist working hard.

No reason why you can't watch Utube while pedalling hard. People watch videos in the gym - I'm told.

I'm sure that makes some sense. To you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But not correcting from "watts per hour" to "watt hours"?

It's not the case that the more body mass you have, the more you can "utilise it" unless you plan to roll down a hill, or jump off a cliff; the higher the mass, the more energy you'll need to provide to rock back and forth.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's because they have set their budget based on high oil prices. And their income has more than halved. Exactly the same as Saudi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)