Old Mobile phone query.

Trying to sort out a working setup from some stuff that I have for elederly gent, who can';t use teh tiddly little hobne he was given. Can;t see the buttons let alone press them or work out what they are for.

Now I have two, shortly to be three. Nokia 502 banana phones, which work, and are really easy to use, which is why they have been lovingly collected.

The tiddly phone has a simcard that fits, its a PAYG apparently - but I am not sure the Nokia, which was a 1.8Ghz only phone, will work with it.

The sim card is blue with a faint white semicircle on the back and what looks like a ruler along one edge.

When I insert it in the Nokia, it says 'key on your PIN' whatever that means. Nobody can remember there ever being a PIN or anything?

Anyway..should I give up and simply buy a PAYG sim?? Last time I trued Orange said they couldn't sell me a sim for such an old phone, so I used another phone to buy the sim and switched it over. It worked.

Ideas gratefully received.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , The Natural Philosopher scribeth thus

Yep

uk.telecom.mobile is thataway -------->

Reply to
tony sayer

Is it not "Key IN your pin" Try 0000 or as many zeros as it wants .That's the default

Reply to
Stuart B

Well that got me SIM CARD BLOCKED enter your PUK code..

Am i on a hiding to nothing?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Isn't technology wonderful!

I have exactly the same problem regarding not being able to use the infernal things. I did find this online the other dat:

may be an option, but they are quite pricey. (c 150 quid)

If I could see one *in the flesh* as it were I might be tempted.

Reply to
zulu

If, as seems likely, this is an O2 SIM you should be able to get the PUK from them by calling their CS number.

They may want to do various security things to ensure you are who you should be.

Reply to
Brian Morrison

So it got you access to the phone and the message saying the sim card is blocked .What's the history of the Sim card . Has it been unused for a while .?

Stuart B

Years.

If its O2 it may not anyway work with a 1.8GHZ only phone..anybody know?

I am sorely tempted to ditch the sim and buy a straight orange PAYG one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An unused PAYG SIM will have been HLR-reclaimed after 180 days with O2, so there will be no credit on it. Moreover the number will eventually be pooled and reallocated at some point.

Yes, but only in a minority of (macrocell/picocell) locations, typically shopping centres, burger bars etc.

They are free online, or a quid at most; IIRC.

Reply to
Mark

HLR?

Reply to
Huge

In message , at 07:38:43 on Sat, 15 Sep

2007, Huge remarked:
Reply to
Roland Perry

Huge wrote in news:fcg263$1bp$2 @anubis.demon.co.uk:

Martin Durkin

Reply to
Huge

Then there's VLR, or Visitor Location Register. This is the one that sometimes doesn't work properly and is often involved in voice and GPRS roaming not working properly or SMS messages being delivered days later when traveling. Putting the SIM in a different handset and then back again can be an effective way of kicking the bollocks of GSM infrastructure.

These are glued together databases. Need to know more? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall