Old LaserJet 5 with paper jam

In article , Lobster writes

Nothing at all. I love those old HPs, they just keep going.

Not unusual. The paper feed rollers age and become hard, which causes jams. The most common are failure to pick paper up and failure to eject it (the exit rollers begin to turn slower than the fuser and the paper "concertinas" and jams.)

It never actually enters the fuser?

It is a very good site and I can recommend them. I have a LJ4m at a remote site which began jamming the paper on entry; fixed that with the appropriate kit, then it started jamming on exit (grr) and the kit to fix that is sitting by my foot as I type. It comes with (a not very clear) video CD showing how to strip the printer and fit the new parts. fixyourownprinter ships from the US but the parts arrived very quickly in my case.

Hmm. It could just be that the paper is moving too slowly (because of slipping rollers) and isn't reaching the fuser when the electronics expect to see it. There is a paper sensor switch in the fuser. Has anyone ripped the paper out of the printer? That's fatal to sensors.

I think in your case the first thing I would try is a kit of pickup/feed rollers. Some of them are very easy to fit (e.g. pickup roller), but unfortunately the feed roller is a swine to fit.

One last thing: try another cartridge first.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , JimK writes

Yes, you need the paper pickup maint kit. You might get away with just the pickup roller, which is very easy to fit, but I'd suggest getting the kit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Lobster writes

It's the heat from the fuser lamp that causes that.

It's not. Just take it slowly and steadily. One thing about these printers is how intuitively they go back together.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Lobster writes

Try not to. If you have latex gloves, wear them. Skin oils burn on the face of the rollers and can damage them.

You need the big gear - the broken one :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

hi mike, where can I get the above mentioned kit? do you have a link please?

ta JimK

Reply to
JimK

That's right. Stripped gear - see later in the thread.

I have some written instructions, that I wrote long ago. This is for the two sets of exit rollers, right? Let me know if you want them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , JimK writes

Same site as mentioned earlier - fixyourownprinter.com

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Bob Eager writes

Ooh, that would be really handy, thanks. (It might not be me that fits the kit.) mike AT jasper DOT org DOT uk

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

yeah I looked there but i only see 3 kits offered nearest is

Printer doesn't pick up paper from the drop-down manual feed tray.

but that is what the printer in question *does* do OK at the minute.....

Any other sources/thoughts?

tia JimK

Reply to
JimK

what does the paper feed seperator pad look like and where would i expect to see it?

ta JimK

Reply to
JimK

OK, I have three good gears off this fuser. If you want the rest of it (missing lamp, rollers a bit knackered) you're welcome.

I'll include details of how to get to them...! Email me at the spamcop address, or at (at) (dot) cx

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob, that's fantastic - thanks so much. Email to spamcop address on the way!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , JimK writes

Jim, fixyourpownprinter don't seem to do a kit. You need part number RB1-6332-000 which is shown here:

's part number 3 in the diagram,

101-3 RB1-6332-000 Pick-Up Roller, Tray 2 LJ 5P/6P

You should be able to easily source this in the UK. Try a bit of googling.

Also try cleaning the paper separation pad as advised elsewhere (it's usually a small flat piece of cork which is revealed when you take the paper out of the tray).

Mike

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Thought he had a "proper" LJ5? The 5P was very different - much smaller.

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian writes

Thanks for looking out. Jim said in his OP:

so I think I have the right printer.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah. Missed that - I was going by the header...

Reply to
Adrian

Confusion is because Jim jumped into the thread asking about his 5P. The OP was Lobster, who does indeed have a 5.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm not going mad.

Reply to
Adrian

Bit of meths to clean the rubber - seems to work. Not sure if it reduces the life of the rubber tho.

Still using an LJ5 that I bought in 95 or 96. Only replacement was a fuser unit around 2000. i think that was because we were using rather rough notepaper.

Reply to
GB