Old house with damp

I have an old house with a basement which is a little damp and there is not any ventilation in the basement. Someone recommended that ventilation bricks be installed. However, I do not know how this can be done as the internal and external floor levels are the same. Any ventilation installed would slope down into the basement and this being England... Also, the external walls are 18" or 1/2 a meter thick.

Is there another solution.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Pavier

A vent pipe could be fitted that draws air through the basement and out to roof height. The stack is capped on top to keep the rain out of course. The chimney effect of the stack might just be enough to give the air change rate you need to help relieve the damp problem.

It would work on the same principle as this:

if done properly to your house, should be enough to keep the air in the basement circulating.

Reply to
BigWallop

eh? external 'floor' level same as internal on a basement?

Yeah. There are many causes of damp in old houses. Tackling them would be the logical first move.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton