old floor boards

Howdy all, Just moved into a new house, gotta love it. Anyway theres alot of the old style floorboards in the house. I dont know what varnish/finish the previous owner used but it scratches very easily. I'm looking for advice on what would the best thing be to do with them.?. Are there any industrial strenght finishes I can put on the boards?. Someone mentioned yacht varnish to me... Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Walsh

either wax or floor varnish, but never use tinted varnish. Ever.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

If you want a hard wearing surface and don't mind varnish, use a "diamond" hard floor varnish. Dulux and Ronseal do versions. They are really very expensive, but do work. You'll need to remove the existing finish first. Don't even think about using anything other than "clear". Coloured varnish looks awful.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'll echo that, we went over out parquet floor with the Dulux Diamond varnish and it looks great and is still as good now.

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

Seconded.

You can get a good colour by mixing coloured versions with clear. The antique pine (which someone said is no longer available?) was a dreadful orange used neat but good if used well 'diluted'. I tried the same thing with 'oak' colour once though, and that really was awful, sort of greenish, you have to experiment. IMO it is an easier way to get an even colour than staining.

-- Holly, in France. Holiday home in the Dordogne, website:

Holly, in France

Hi,

'Acid cure' floor varnishes are supposed to be quite good.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Have a look at the range from Rustins.

good stuff.

BTW - I agree, never use coloured varnish!

Dave

Reply to
Magician

dreadful

You can get ok light colours, if not good, and yes its easier than staining with some woods. The problem is it chips off as it wears and reveals bright whitish patches, and soon looks truly awful. And getting every last scrap off before recoating is a whole lotta extra work. Dont touch it.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

getting

I have only used this method with Diamond Coat, putting the 'tinted' stain on for the first coat, going over it with the clear for the remaining coats. I can't see why it would perform any differently than a clear or factory tinted product. Don't know how it performs in the long run, but it was fine after 3 years in the bedrooms, living room and upstairs corridor in our last house, with four children running up and down.