old-fashioned black/brown streaky wood paint

Parts of the woodwork in my house are covered with a black/brown streaky paint or varnish that creates a kind of woodgrain effect. I need to touch up some areas - will get repainted eventually. I have a feeling this is an old-fashioned type of paint or varnish. Anyone know what it is and where I could get it? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Look up "graining". A good decorater will be able to do this, or you can practice and DIY it. There's not a lot of it left about, & it can look nicer than the timber underneath!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's a process rather than a single product - you paint a light undercoat and let it dry, then paint a darker translucent topcoat (scumble glaze) and texture it (with special brushes, combs or a graining tool) while it's still wet.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I think I have seen this about within the last five years, can't remember where though. Also as mentioned are the funny plastic tools you can get to simulate large scale wood grain effects, as opposed to the finer grain effects possible with just the paint.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I've seen this done - it's not this. I think I must have exaggerated the streakyness. It's basically brown and I know about the guy who used to live there. He would not have gone to that much trouble. So, forget about the black. It's bascically brown varnish/paint. I'm sure there was a post about it a while ago, but I can't find it. Any other ideas ? I will try to get a picture. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I suppose you could try button polish, brushed on in a few coats.

Reply to
Rob Morley