old everything...:-(

I casually fired up Google Earth to research a cache that some trespasser had hidden 50 yards from the nearest footpath.

Various unsanitary messages later I decided the Earth has moved on. XP and my graphics card are apparently no longer up to snuff!

Explorer 8 is not supported by various feeds that I luckily do not need.

Is Firefox any better and, if so, so how do I make it the default browser?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've used it for years and it's my browser of choice.

Install it, click on the orange Firefox tab at top left > Options > Options > Advanced > General > System defaults tick box.

install it and use its preferences to set it as the default browser.

i just did and its under tools->options->general

20.1 seems to work on my ageing XP virtual machine..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No longer supported messages have a habit of being cobblers. Google uses them to promote their own browser. The reality is that even an early P3 using something like antix or puppy can still surf the web ok.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just had the same problem. I have XP and Google Chrome I just get a blank black (starry?) opening page instead of a world globe.

Reply to
harry

Just install it and say yes, to the default browser question checkbox.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One has to realise that Google are attempting to take over the world, so make anything obsolete they think. I bet it will work in Chrome.. chuckle.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As one whose computer runs on neither Windows nor Mac OS I'm curious as to just what Google Earth adds to the Google Satellite/Streetview experience when looking at cities or landmasses (I've read the site and know about the other things) - is it just the ability to scroll without having to click forward each time (Streetview) or use the mouse to pan (satellite)?

David (who can't help anyway as I use a different browser)

Reply to
David P

Microsoft are the same. I went to the Microsoft site to download a utility to be able to read older Microsoft formatted help files in Windows 7. If I used Opera or Firefox I was informed that I had an illegal operating system and the download was denied. Using Internet Explorer and suddenly my OS was legal again and the download was approved.

Reply to
alan

There was/is a "Windows genuine advantage" plug-in for firefox, which allows downloading the updates ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I haven't been back to G earth yet but Firefox is OK. Not sure I care for alphabetical bookmark listings though.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I bet you have GE's automatic updates 'on'.

I had EXACTLY the same problem, and after a bit of Googling, reading through several forums etc, it appears that the later versions of GE can have problems with the now-ageing XP and the video card drivers. [My W7 laptop is fine.]

By experimentation, I found that the last version which works OK on my machine is 6.1.0.5001. I suggest you uninstall any later version, and try it. However, you've got a fair choice here.

Don't forget to disable automatic updates.

BTW, no matter what you do to remove an existing version, it still remembers your 'places' etc (which is nice).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The Windows Genuine Advantage tests also run and pass on Linux...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I think you're exactly correct.

Reply to
harry

In message , harry writes

Does that mean you've got it fixed?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Not yet. But what you say sounds logical.

Reply to
harry