OLD(er than me) appliances

That's one hell of a trip for a day...

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 27 May 2007 22:37:57 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

I've done plenty of trips like that and got a days work in the middle f it as well, not something that you want to do regularly.

Reply to
Lurch

Agreed, it is not something that I do all that often, maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Another trip down there is due next weekend, to take the grand daughters back home. I might go down on Saturday and come back Monday.

As far as doing a days work in-between, I stopped doing that in 1999, aged 53 :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Mon, 28 May 2007 19:10:45 +0100, Dave mused:

I've been trying to stop that since about 2003, aged 25!

Reply to
Lurch

You young whippersnappers.. don't know the meaning of work.... etc...

Reply to
Andy Hall

My condolences :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:24:24 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

Quite right, we get away with allsorts, don't have to earn anything etc... don't know the value of the pound.....

Reply to
Lurch

Of course, but round-pin installations were becoming progressively rarer by the '70s

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I suspect that's part of a 100V system, IIRC these now have to have a CPC in the cable, so a 3 pin plug would be needed. What sort you ought to use, i'm not sure.

Any ideas Davesound?

Reply to
zikkimalambo

On 29 May 2007 03:30:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk mused:

Definitely not a 5A round pin plug and socket, I'd have gone a bit more non-standard than that.

Reply to
Lurch

I'm not sure if regs say they need a CPC. The only time I use them is on a temporary installation and for that use ordinary mic cable which does of course include a screen which should be a satisfactory ECC. But the 100 volt system as such only needs two wires.

I suppose it's possible a metal horn speaker of the type shown might need bonding, but I'd be surprised. The first thing the line sees is a transformer which brings the voltage down to safe levels, so it would be very easy to make the device conform to the appropriate insulation standards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think there's something on John Woodgate's website which says they

*shouldn't* be CPC'd as this can introduce a foreign earth potential.

There are however many amps which drive the 100V line directly, and possibly some speakers wound for direct connection too.

However anyone mounting a metal horn speaker within reach probably needs their eardrums examined anyway.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Right. I have as little to do with them as possible - nasty things.

Yes - but that amp will invariably have its HT generated via an isolating transformer these days so the 100v line should have no reference to earth.

Anyone who uses them full stop. With cheap electronics these days far better to have an amp per speaker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But the isolated supply is then earthed, so the 100v will bite.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The one and only design I know well with no output transformer hasn't got one side of the HT rail connected to earth and has a balancing transformer on the input. In my limited experience of 100 volt line amps, I don't know of any with one leg grounded - as there's no reason to do so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A relative of mine is guaranteed to destroy any portable appliance through being heavy handed when winding up- the flex (from the plug end) leaving a tangle that results in a break.

Reply to
John