Old Creda Storage heater spares and repair

Hi All,

I have a really old Creda storage heater, one from the seventies I'd guess, its about 5ft tall and sits in its own cupboard. This unit heats the whole house by fanning warm air through a series of ducts into all the rooms.

I have been really pleased with it since I moved in about 6 years ago as it means no radiators or heaters on the walls, and the warm air heats the room very quickly.

Problem is the fan seems to have packed in. The unit itself still heats up, I can feel it on the unit itself but the fan doesnt go any more (the timer unit

I took the front panel off and had a look, the fan is a cylindrical unit, which (unless Scrapheap Challenge has lied to me) i think is an impellar type fan.

I have looked all rpound the internet and emailed Creda but have had no joy. Does anyone know of electricians experienced with these type of eaters, or know of places that stock spares?

I realy dont want to replace the whole system as I have been really happy with it.

Also, as a complete out there type idea from my basic physics GCSE, is it possible to re wire the existing fan core motor and maybe replace the magnets, or am I completely deluding myself about the simplicity of a fan motor???

Reply to
Neil

Probably the magnets have run out of magnetivity so get some new ones or take the old ones in to be recharged.

Seriously, I guess you might be able to find a similar spec'd motor and use that instead.

Reply to
adder1969

It is almost certain to be an induction motor... so no permenent magnets! ;-)

If you can get the old motor out, then there is a fair chance of finding a replacement since they often have standard fixing centres and shaft sizes.

If you want a manufactures original part, then phone CPC since they do all sorts of white goods spares (note you have to phone them for this service since most of the white goods stuff is not on their web site).

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't know if they've taken over Creda now but Glen-Dimplex do Electricaire which is the same sort of system. I don't know if the bits would be compatible but it might be worth trying Dimplex - 0870 727 0109 or customer.services at glendimplex dot com

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks for the replies guys, but I think I've found the holy grail of old storage heater websites

google never found this before I dont know.

Anyway it has pictures of all Creda storage heaters > snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
Neil