old china fuse box

Dear all,
I have to replace my old china fuse box and some ceiling wiring in my flat. We've done the socket wiring, but feel we can't do this job ourselves.
I have no idea how much this sort of job costs. Could anyone give me an idea of what to budget for - min and max - before I start getting loads of quotes.
tia BK
On 11 Aug 2003 15:56:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@balex.freeserve.co.uk (BK) wrote:

For a small consumer unit, you can expect to pay about 100 (complete with breakers) for a reasonable branded one.
Replacement would probably take part of a day but an electrician would probably allocate a day at whatever his rate is - 150-200.
For the ceiling wiring it's hard to say. Cable is cheap so the main cost will be time.
Pick a number as to total cost - it depends on what's involved.
I would budget 500 and then you might be pleasantly surprised, but it really does depend on the amount of ceiling wiring involved.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
BK wrote:

This is where the wires are already in the right place. As for the light wiring depends on how many rooms to rewire and the difficulty of access. I'd budget for 500 -1000 for this.