old chimneys

My chimney is a very old and wide. I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another technique?

Reply to
meuharris

You want one of these. Give 'em a little boost up at the bottom and they can manage the rest. ;-)

Tim Downie

do I still need to twist him clockwise in case he gets stuck up half way?

Reply to
meuharris

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

meuharris has brought this to us :

No, no - if they get stuck you just light a fire and the heat and smoke will do the rest.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I believe they used to pull a hollybush branch through (letting a stone down on a rope, attaching the holly branch and then pulling it up from the top). That, or a small fir tree.

Reply to
OG

Are we hoping someone will be coming down it soon then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'Tis a shame the scout movement stopped 'bob-a-job' week. Or you could hire one of these

Don

Hey, that's a good point, who would be daft enough to go up and down all those unswept chimneys in a bright red suit and a white bushy beard??? Should hate to see the laundry bill on Boxing Day. Another thing, how come he has exemption from all the new Elf and Safety regs? All sounds dodgy to me. Wavey Dave

Reply to
Dave