Old Cable Colurs For Sale Anywhere .??

However that really doesn't matter.

- In the normal course of events, apart from sale of a property, it is highly unlikely that DIY wiring done without Building Notice would be detected.

- Enforcement for building regulations violations can only be done up to a year after the work was done.

- When it comes to sale time, assuming that questions about wiring are asked, then it is a simple matter to get a regularisation certificate. An inspection can be carried out as part of that at the instigation of the vendor or the purchaser. A diligent purchaser would have an inspection done anyway. He might make a case for the vendor to pay of there are irregularities.

All in all, very little effect.

Reply to
Andy Hall

All you'd need to do to prove that it was done before Part P is to say it was. They can't prove otherwise.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I certainly wouldn't care if a house I was buying had post part-pee cabling and no certification to go with it. I would rather concern myself with the actual physical compentency of the work carried out, than whether the company that the electrician worked for was NICEIC registered at the time or not.

Reply to
Chris Cowley

I guess you didn't read the article you were following up.

It doesn't become law.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the datestamps I happen to have noticed recently were 2004

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's still surely very rare that any issue is raised about wiring isn't it? I've bought and sold quite a few houses over the years and there has never been a wiring inspection or anything like that even in the one case when we had a full structural survey.

Reply to
usenet

It's really the buyer's choice.

In practical terms, a surveyor wouldn't be able to do more than a few random tests of outlets etc. plus instrument tests at the CU. These won't highlight workmanship issues.

At present, the only other way is through a questionnaire from the purchaser's solicitor. It's then a case of whether the vendor wants to tell lies or go for a regularisation certificate.

The forthcoming Seller's Pack nonsense may change that if there is an electrical survey included, although I suspect the survey won't even be as good as today.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I read it but still can't understand why it is a big deal for them.

As far as I was aware after April 2006 only new colours can be installed.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I really see no need for using the term "a bit of dodgy wiring"

I accept that some work being done may not meet the Part P requirements but that in itself does not make the wiring "dodgy" . There must be hundreds of thousands of homes where the wiring was done prior to Part P which would not meet Part P requirements but was done corectly at the time and remains correct .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In article , Stuart writes

Don't take that too seriously, it was the only phrase to had at the time;-))

Reply to
tony sayer

I've no idea why you'd want any. Why not just use new?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Caveat Emptor. No-one's stopping the buyer comissioning whatever inspections they like within reason - if they don;t that's their problem in my view.

A PIR would be better - agreed, a PIR won't find the case of evil work hidden under the floor, but chances are if the installation is rotton, either the readings will be sub standard and/or there will be evidence of bodgery in one of the random bits the inspector can see.

It's not 100% certain to find everything but in practise it would be impossible to do a 100% inspection.

3rd option: decline to answer. 4th option: fess up and see if the buyer cares.

From what I understand, the electrical "check" will not be a PIR (which might have made the HiP worthwhile, nor will there be a proper gas check.

Just a visual inspection by an ex-hairdresser. What a waste of money.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Unlike wiring which meets Part Pee requirements and is thoroughly dodgy, like supplying a 10kW electric shower in a bathroom from a flex plugged into a 13A socket in the hall, with a nail instead of a fuse in the 13A plug. Totally compliant with Part Pee, as not fixed wiring, but superlative in the dodginess of its dodgality.

It occurs to me a way round the datestamped wiring debate is to get some letter punches (RS sell them, or borrow the set used by the local pikies for "ringing" Vehicle Identification Numbers), heat them up, and press them into the new cable sheath to obliterate the original date stamp and replace it with a pre Part Pee one.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Before now, in a new house, where presumably the wiring was done professionally and inspected (ha,ha), I've seen earth wires from cables at lamp holders just twisted together - no connector, no sleeve. That wouldn't show up in an instrument test, for example.

Another stealth tax. Reduces the unemployment numbers and puts people within the tax system becasue there's a paper trail.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I prefer to avoid mixing different colour standards in the same installation. However, as I am wiring factories in three phase, I don't have to comply with Part P anyway.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

But I'm pretty sure the rules stating that you must use the new colours from April are nothing to do with Part P - or are they?

Reply to
Richard Conway

I see conduit and wiring in singles becoming popular ;->

Tim

Reply to
Tim S