Old Cable Colurs For Sale Anywhere .??

Aprt from Ebay where the prices are a bit steep are there any outllets elling cable in the "old" colours .Do the sheds have any stock still on sale .Anyone seen any .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I've noticed some odds and sods in Homebase ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Our homebase didn't know about harmonised colours - everything they hav e- including all stock is old style.

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Some Wilkinsons seem to have some old colours, but I would be quick.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

WF Electrical still had stock in London, last time I was in.

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

I have a few yards of 7/029

Why can I still remember the old cable sizes so clearly (3/029, 7/036, etc)

John

Reply to
John

Because like a lot of us on here your long term memory is ok, its the short term that is......

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Last week a call at a client's premises was passed to me as it was about 'cables': a barely-understandably-accented voice asking 'if we had any obsolete cable to sell'. I assume there is now a thriving market.

Reply to
Joe

I think that's a fair assumption, I can see DIYers wanting the T+E

who will want all the single core/conduit stuff?
?ViewItem&item=7593196356

Reply to
Andy Burns

I checked my locak Homebase and all the cable is new colours except for some 1 mm in the old at 99p a metre ..I went back to Ebay and got a 50metre reel of 1.5 mm at £19 .A bit more than I need but it's 38p a meter and I suppose I can sell what I don't need once it gets scarcer to source .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Just discovered I had bid on T1.5mm TWIN RED + Earth by mistake but found 100mtrs of Twin + Earth from the same seller at £21.99 so thats

22 a metre so thats even more to sell on later .

Stuary

Reply to
Stuart

You can probably get it from a wholesalers, maybe as a special order.

A number of large companies, hospitals, etc have forbidden use of new colours on their premises. The 'new' colours were available for years on special order (been used for years in Ireland as standard). I believe some organisations have been using them to distinguish from standard mains supplies, for things like clean supplies, life support system supplies, etc. Other organisations have simply decided they won't allow mixed colour installations (particularly where 3-phase is used) on their premises.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Does that mean that someone somewhere is still making the old stuff then?

David

Reply to
Lobster

My electrical wholesaler does not seem to have any problems supplying me with whichever colours I want. I don't know whether that will remain the case from April, when only the new colours are supposed to be used.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I don't see why these companies should have issues with the new wiring colours, hardly a big deal. In any case they'll have to accept them when it becomes law.

I know it's been said before but for anyone believing old colour cable is a way to get round Part P, it doesn't make any difference as the new colours were available before it came in.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

But maybe if work is done in the "old" colours and some one is looking at it and asks it seems less of a lie if the wiring isn't in the "new"colours ...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

100 m of old colours 1.5mm went for a total of £27.50 today

Stuart

In article , Stuart writes

Pardon moi for sounding a bit dense, but why the need for the old colours?. Now I presume that this is to do a bit of dodgy wiring so as to get around part pee, and if that is the case the new colours came in long before the part pee date didn't they, as I seem to remember using them?.....

Reply to
tony sayer

If it's datestamped, it will be unsuitable for 'bypassing' prat Pee.

Reply to
<me9

Legally speaking it's pointless obviously, but quite simply if wiring is in the old colurs, it is likely to be assumed by default to be 'old', pre-Part P, and not likely to raise suspicion; whereas if it's in harmonised colours, then it is obviously pretty new and there is a strong possibility that it was installed post-part P.

Bear in mind too that in 5 or 10 years' time, nobody is ever going to remember, know or care that the colour change didn't happen at exactly the same time as Part P; anyone wanting to prove otherwise will need strong evidence to back them up.

David

Reply to
Lobster