Old bricks - much value?

There's a builder doing a property up across the road, he's palletting the bricks he's bringing out to sell on.

I have a load of bricks and he's keen to take them, it probably depends what type of brick I know but generally speaking, could they possibly be worth much?

The property is over 100 years old FWIW.

Reply to
R D S

I suggest having a look on ebay to see if you can guage their value.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They're not making victorian bricks anymore so they will have a value to people who want to add an extension etc in the same brick. Going by prices for my local old brick, Norfolk Reds, about ?1 retail, 50p if you're trying to sell them.

mark

Reply to
mark

Years ago, when I was hiring a skip, the hire was free if the contents were bricks and tiles only, as they got sold on as hardcore, so even they had some resell value.

Don't know if that's still true today, but I may have a brick garden wall to demolish shortly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nope. In these days of landfill taxes, hard-core has negative value.

Reply to
Huge

Round here (Cambridge) local plain wire-cut victorian bricks cost £1 each .

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

A good few years back I swapped around 1200 hand made bricks for a days plastering with 2 blokes and they were happy with the deal.

I'd imagine old handmade bricks are just as sought after. They will fetch more if the mortar has been cleaned off- depends if you want to put in the effort. At that age they should have been using lime mortar which falls off easily - rub with a damaged brick on the top, bottom and headers to remove it.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Here in SE London yellow stocks sell for about a quid each and reds about half that. EBay prices are all over the place IME

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes - many old bricks simply ain't available new. So if you are repairing or adding to an old house they have a value to match the original. Or for landscape gardening etc. They can often cost more to buy than the new 'equivalent'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

contents

Probably won't get a free skip but if you hire a skip just to take away the spoil from digging a pond or footings or demolishing a building(*) and that is all it will contain you might get a cheaper price compared to a "general waste" one.

(*) Check if they will accept building timbers as well as the rubble.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This is true. We have a 4 cu yd on the driveway right now - £80 if "inert waste" (rubble & soil), £300 if "general waste".

Reply to
Huge

You're lucky. when I asked our local company the difference between hardcore and mixed was so small it was not worth bothering to try to separate.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bit of a minefield for a buyer IMHO.

Old bricks' quality varies so much depending I think where they were in the kiln and how good the firing was, I.e. how hot they got.

Best well burnts were used to face buildings to survive frosts etc, the shitty unburnts, misshapes etc were used internally.

Woe betide a hapless buyer of a few 1000 to match existing....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Bricks from what looked to be a Victorian church going for £1 each near me (Sheffield).

Reply to
RJH

The nice thing about the old London yellow stocks is that the colour changes according to the light. At times they positively glow. Modern repro bricks are just dull by comparison

Reply to
stuart noble

Don't some brick makers do replicas of that sort of brick or is it they can't get the clay these days etc?...

Reply to
tony sayer

If you compare them side by side, the replicas look like a close match in certain lights, but nothing like them at, say, dawn or dusk. What produces this subtle change I don't know, but almost certainly something to do with oxides, ochres, and other impurities in the London clay.

Reply to
stuart noble