OK you can laugh..

In message , geoff writes

It was a gift. Farmers like to get full value from their equipment.

There is a time display on my phone but this only helps if I happen to be carrying reading glasses. The Casio watch I have reverted to, is permanently set to GMT because of the agricultural raw material jammed under the push buttons and also requires glasses.

Studying nature can be more useful than relying on diurnal variation eg. queue of cars on the bypass = it must be a weekday and 8.00am - 8.30am. also rash of ladies walking their dogs = it must be 3.00pm and nearly time to fetch the kids from school.

There are probably more but one does get so reliant on *knowing* to within a second or so the actual time:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Ah. I wear mine on the inside of my wrist. Something learned at college as the lecturer could not then tell that you were checking the time:-)

I'm not sure this reduces damage.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , geoff writes

Can you guarantee reliability:-)

Actually I have considered this and found my criteria unavailable as a package.

Viz. Stainless strap and case not polished to *chrome* finish. Quartz operation but not digital, large luminous hands, no calendar, water resistant to unplanned immersion, no fancy bezels/mini dials etc.

My last Seiko was close but now around 150ukp.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's an interesting idea.

Can't glance at the time, though.

Reply to
Bruce

I think I used to break them a lot because I'd catch/pull the strap when I was carrying things or working on something. I don't miss having it on my wrist - checking the time by opening my wallet isn't really any different than someone pulling their phone out of their pocket and checking that, I suppose.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Reply to
Bruce

Working on a railway where the timetable was almost clockface, I usually knew the minutes by the trains, but could get a bit lost over the hours.

Every second Aberdeen service meant a cuppa though, and early lunch was the King's Cross.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Tim Lamb writes

I can guarantee the diameter of the watch face,

... probably

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Nobody needs a watch if they're this clever:

Peter Twydell

Reply to
Clot

I don't think they want to answer this question.

Reply to
F Murtz

I think we have established there are no watch menders on the panel:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I did the same (about $5, so comparable in price) for the workshop last year. It's been sitting there, blinking at me, for a good few months now after the last power cut knocked it out. One day I'll get around to resetting it... :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Try these:

?ViewItem&item=380239869900

Bruce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Last time I looked, there was nothing of the sort available, but I suppose the military necessity of recent incursions into foreign hostile nighttime territory has made the covered watch dial a good thing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Glad I could help. The seller is very reliable too.

Reply to
Bruce

In message , Bruce writes

Moving on... The solution to my dead watch problem arrived in this mornings post.

For a modest subscription of 20ukp TIME are willing to send me a TIME expedition watch along with 54 issues of their magazine!

Do you think they read this newsgroup? Or is it just possible that they have communicated with National Geographic for which someone kindly purchased me a years subscription, last Christmas.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I hope the watch is worth at least £20, because I wouldn't read 54 issues of TIME if they paid me that.

With any organisation of which you are a member, or anything to which you subscribe, or any other organisation which has your address on file, you are at risk of them selling their name and address data to marketing firms.

At one time, I was a member of a professional body and their version of my address details included a typo. Every time I got junk mail with the same typo I knew where they got my name and address from.

Reply to
Bruce