Ok, where was my brain..???

Page 2 of 2

I didn't use a ball valve - electric solenoid valve from a washing machine and water level sensor... When the mains pressure drops there is a switch that prevents the valve from opening... Overkill but enjoyable!
Because the house has only one circuit, the incoming main also feeds the taps etc., hence the quick emptying...
I guess that the UK has regs to prevent this type of installation but here... well, who knows...

So if you have a power cut, how does the tank get filled up ? I also hope you used a floating mercury contact as the water level sensor, because any other type when faulty might not switch the valve off properly. The mercury float has two pins inside a float ball that contains a small amount of mercury metal and when the float is tilted up on an arm the mercury flows against the pins and makes the circuit to switch things on. Very simple and doesn't need any electronic circuitry to make it work, it only relies on the electricity flowing through metal conductors.
"BigWallop" wrote | > I was listening to some music whilst replacing the condensers in | > an old AC/DC valve radio (dropper resistor, no transformer) and | > wondered why the music crackled every time I soldered something. | > Then I realised that the music to which I was listening wasn't | > from the hi-fi but the mains-powered radio on which I was currently | > working. | Nasty !!! :-)) But very easily done.
I didn't feel anything and the radio was unharmed too. They don't make them like they used to.
Owain
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:29:30 -0000, "Owain"

The value of isolated bench power supplies (in that I didn't have one) was brought home to me when I moved a metal desk lamp too close to the live chassis of the TV set I was repairing at the time.
Ouch.
--

Dave

imagine it would have still worked fine as long as you didn't stick you finger in the hole.
I have drilled a cable before though buried deep in a wall, no evidence that a cable should be ruining anyway near it.
Biggest electrical fright I had was when I was about 15, I was helping out at my cousins house they were doing up. There was a very old and defunct fuse box to be removed. They said it was all disconnected, I didn't check of course. I forget exactly what happened, but the mains supply was obviously still live as at one point there was a great big BANG, FLASH etc. and I fell off the step ladder.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Moved into new house in Holland, trying to find out which fuse controlled a particular lighting point (no fittings supplied), so put neon screwdriver on bare wire. Only discovered when I managed to get the feeling back in my arm that I'd used the 24V car tester instead of the mains type.
A Belgian colleague put his multimeter across 2 phases of the computer room supply to measure the voltage, but left it on the mA setting. It took him a couple of hours to stop shaking. I don't think the meter was much use afterwards!
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Owwwwyyyaaa !!!
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

There's even a word for doing this on a big scale in the States. When a digger unearths and breaks a mains or digital cable its called 'backhoe fade'. Backhoe is a digger bucket. I've always liked that.

It was Bangor he blacked out; funny thing is he could never see the funny side of it
mike r