Ok, where was my brain..???

Page 1 of 2
Been visiting my parents for a week, as usual did a few jobs around the place for them.
One was to fit an old kitchen cupboard on the wall in the new utility room.
Hold cupboard up on the wall deciding where they want it, I comment it needs to be high enough to give access to the sockets and FCU's below.
Decide on placing, mark out and drill the first hole for the fixing screws, drill goes off line a bit.. Peer into hole, notice something shiny - realise it's the exposed live conductor of the ring main feeding the above mentioned sockets etc.........
The question is - where was my brain at the time? It's not like I'm new to this game, or that I didn't know they were there, or do not know to check that sort of thing.............
--
Chris French, Leeds

So where was mine when I drilled into the wall just above a wall light outlet to mount a fitting..... or the manufacturer who put the hole in the fitting, it's as much excuse as I can find
mike r

"Complacency" I think it's called and it can creep in when least expected. Very common complaint in the DIY trade. The only remedy seems to be learning from it and not doing it again. Although this can be easier said than done. :-))
My Dad and I were drilling the holes to fix a sink pedestal to the floor. Having completed the first hole, it occured to us that we had no idea which way the copper pipes travelled under the floor.
Could have been messy!
Al
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:48:46 +0000, chris French

I'm sure we've all done a similar thing. I did that over 20 years ago. First I knew about it was when the drill bit sparked on the live cable.
It taught me good, better than any teacher could have done. And to this day I immediately look for cable runs before getting the drill out. Heck, I even go to the trouble of using a cable detector :)
PoP

I did it once as well, funnily enough it was I who ran the very same cable that I drilled through, so I knew very well it was there. ooooooooooopppppppppppppssssssssss.

When preparing to repair the knackered floorboards in the bathroom the other week so we^W I could sand it (meh) I took up the board I'd screwed back down after running new plumbing pipes a few years ago.
Remove one screw and as if by magic a water feature appeared at mains pressure - I'd *just* managed to get the sharp pointy tip of the screw to penetrate the plastic piping......why did I put the screw there in the first place? %deity% knows......
Obviously the same set of circumstances that's seen me put a nail and a screw through various parts of the phone cabling in this place :) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
PoP wrote

Hmm, I might invest in one of these, but i've heard variable reports on their usefulness/effectiveness.
I was notching the wall in the kitchen with my trusty angle grinder and discovered a wire running *diagonally* on the wall left by a previous bodger.
Luckily I peered into the slot and saw grey insulation, rather than red/black/copper ;-)
Cheers,
Paul.

God - I did exactly the same a few years back. Except with me, it happened on a bank holiday Monday, just before I was set to leave my parents place and embark on a 200-mile car journey home with all the family (hence I was probably rushing the job, ha ha). Never done it before or since. Beam me up, Scotty...
so it was you then........
or someone having brain problems.
I was rewiring our bungalow and had removed all the switches and began pulling through the new cable into the loft.
pulled and pulled at the old kitchen light cable but it wouldn't budge, went back down to kitchen only to find that about 6 inches above the switch was a little hole - peered into the hole to find a wall plug hmmmmm i thought its that Chris again :-))
this one had me cursing for a few mins pulling like mad at the cable in the loft, trying not to slip and put my foot through the ceiling.

The first time I done that was through a 6mm csa, cable feeding a cooker unit. I drilled through a door standard with 16mm spade bit and not realising there was cable behind it, BANG !!! FLASH !!!! WALLOP !!! Me frightened out of my wits and the cooker out of commission until we removed the facings and finding out if it was possible to run another cable without ruining the rest of the house. Ahhh (sigh) those were the days. :-))
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:59:39 GMT, "BigWallop"

Using a spade bit to chop thru a cable, now that's gotta be class! ;)
Could I enquire what shape the spade bit was in by the time you finished with it?
PoP

removed
without
LOL
It never drilled anymore holes and was retired to the big spade bit store in the sky.

cooker
in
Mate of mine actually drilled through the leccy co`s main incoming cable which was buried in the wall, a bright flash and big bang ensued. LOL :-)

Me
:-))
store
Ouch !!!! Now that's gotta' hurt. :-))
That's where plastic casings on the tools really comes in handy, eh ?
"BigWallop" wrote | The first time I done that was through a 6mm csa, cable feeding | a cooker unit. I drilled through a door standard with 16mm | spade bit and not realising there was cable behind it, BANG | !!! FLASH !!!! WALLOP !!!
Big wallop?
| Me frightened out of my wits and the cooker out of commission | until we removed the facings and finding out if it was possible | to run another cable without ruining the rest of the house. | Ahhh (sigh) those were the days. :-))
I was listening to some music whilst replacing the condensers in an old AC/DC valve radio (dropper resistor, no transformer) and wondered why the music crackled every time I soldered something.
Then I realised that the music to which I was listening wasn't from the hi-fi but the mains-powered radio on which I was currently working.
I don't think I'll ever try television repair.
Owain
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:29:30 -0000, "Owain"

When I was a teenager I bought things from jumble sales and then proceeded to repair them. Had no queasy thoughts about working with live mains, hell that was for wimps.
I still have memories of working on a record player, and falling asleep during the repair. When I woke up I remembered I was going to chop through the mains cable, so did so.
Remember the days with round pin sockets protected by 30A fuse wire in the fuse box? Tested it out that day. Big spark as the sidecutters chomped into the wire - and a nifty hole with melted edges where the jaws of the sidecutters used to be.
Never did that again. Though I did manage to put a stanley knife through a live cable a few weeks ago (fortunately the stanley knife was a plastic cased affair).
PoP

I still have a pair of sidecutters like that...happened about 35 years ago, at school. Was working on stage lighting, and building a circuit up on the gantry. Climbed gantry, chopped wire at right length, and found some idiiot had (a) thrown the main breaker (back on), plugged in the circuit, replaced the fuse, and turned it on. He said he didn't realise...I nearly fell off, handing onto an earthed gantry....!
Talking of round pin plugs, I pulled one of those out of asocket when I was about seven..fascinated with electricity. DC mains...big arc...armchair on fire from ignited newspapers near socket. All I remember is sitting on my gran's lap, getting excited about seeing a fire engine close up....
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I got two old reel-to-reel tape recorders, to make "one from two"... They had three big 240V motors, one for each reel and one for the capstan.
I took the motors out, wired up three pairs of wires to a 13A plug and connected two of the motors... Nice! they worked a treat... Now to find the wires to connect the third one...
Held one wire in my right hand, then found the other one with my left... then found myself up in the air and down onto my bed..... OUCH!!! (no RCD in those days, either)
Just to prove that my brain is still in the same condition as it was then: last spring, I put a 200 litre tank in our loft to guard against water shortages, always wondered why it was empty so quickly when the mains was off...
Just relised that I didn't put a check-valve on the incoming main! :( Thats this week-ends work!

Just take the drop spout off the ball valve and stop it from syphoning back out the tank. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com