OK to Paint over New Gloss?

About 10 days ago I finished painting the skirting boards in my bedroom (with Dulux white gloss). Over the last couple of days I've had the floor sanded and some of the stain has got onto the skirting boards and it looks like I'm going to need to re-paint.

I called Dulux who said that I need to rub down all over again before re-painting. It's a large room with a lot of skirting & I'm under some time pressures (ie wife v. pregnant) so I want to avoid it if possible. Is this the kind of thing that a manufacturer says just to cover themselves or do I really need to rub it down all over again?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

Depends what the stain is, and its solvent. Try wiping down with water/ white spirit/ meths and see if any of them has any effect. If not, as long as you don't have blobs and ridges, another coat of gloss with no rubbing down would be probably be the quickest option.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'd go with trying the wipe down method first, but IMHO gloss on top of gloss is never satisfactory in the long run as the top coat will eventually flake off. A gloss coat is there not only to look good but to also repell water and to help take knocks, these make gloss a pretty hard act to follow and I would always sand down before applying another coat.

Steve

Reply to
80/20