OK, time to disassemble upright piano - some ideas needed

Page 2 of 3

For the infrequent use you (and I) put our angle grinders to, I think a cheapie should be just fine. The heavier-built ones take more care over keeping the motor and switches better protected from the dust which grinders inevitably produce (especially when, um, grinding as opposed to cutting); but for occasional use the now-down-to-a-tenner Screwfix jobbie should see you right. It's not a subtle tool where you want minimal bearing play, repeatability, etc. - rather a "let's play Terminator" item ;-)
Stefek
On 16 Sep 2003 08:25:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

Friend of mine has an AEG, which wasn't cheap. Apart from the cable (nasty skinny stiff thing, unlike all my other AEG tools) it has a switch that's particularly prone to jamming on with sawdust. This is one angle grinder that just isn't safe with an Arbortech cutter.
IMHO, the green Bosch are about the best price/lifetime deal these days, if you're looking for hard use.
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:02:50 +0100, Andy Dingley

That's of interest, noted, thanks.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Hello Andy

Seconded. I've had a cheapie green Bosche hammer drill for 8 years now and am getting annoyed that it won't die.
I use it a lot for screwdriving, but it's a pain not having variable and reverse so want to replace it, but this thing just won't stop working! I thought I nearly had the bugger when the chuck siezed up, but it was just dust from drilling upwards and an oil bath freed it.
Harder to justify a new tool when you've got one already that's "nearly" as good.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:29:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) wrote:
[snip]

I know that feeling!
I got my "second" use drill here, a 2 speed (on or off!) Wolf sapphire with a half inch Jacobs I treated it to on it's first birthday, but we're at odds just like that, we just had our 32nd anniversary too! I expect the old girl will cash in her chips not too long from now though, she'll be starting to get a bit tired I reckon. ;O)
My "first" use drill, a Bosch rather like yours by the sound of it and about the same age, is just getting it's growing pains out of the way! It'll start getting the right idea about doing real work instead of lollygaggin about soon I hope. I tend to use the pillar drill if possible where the Bosch's youthful exuberance is not going to be welcome on a job that's got to be "just so"!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

We have a 9 inch grinder (that's the size of the blade) and I have to say it's a pleasure to use! Gets the adrenalin flowing and makes me feel like a MAN!
Otriginally got a smaller one, but the depth of cut is very limited, especially when the disc gets worn.

On 16 Sep 2003 08:25:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

I'm fairly sure it wasn't the intention, but you "all but" just sold me on why a dearer one makes sense! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Oh, irony, irony, they've all got it irony (as dear Kenneth didn't use to say). My claim is indeed that a cheapie will do the job; the particular task in hand (metal cutting) won't produce the volume of nasty dust which slab cutting, tile cutting, or woodshaping does. And then you'll have more money in the tool budget for tools where quality matters more.
The "middle way" tool-buying strategy I (and a few others on this group) seem to have settled on goes as follows. For tools whose characteristics and intended usage you already know well, buy towards (but rarely at) the upper end of the price/quality tradeoff: it'll typically last longer and do the job better. But for stuff you haven't used before (a juicer - to take a kitchen-tool example; an angle grinder in your case; a cordless screwdriver) it's often sensible to buy the el cheapo as an experiment, and regard its cost as sunk into the particular job you're doing with it, while learning on that task whether the kind of tool is something which will earn its keep. Once you've used the cheapie, you're in a rather better position to choose - when the cheapie breaks or becomes too frustrating to use effectively - among the better-built models, according to the bells and whistles you now have a much better idea of the utility to you of. (Apologies for those who hate to see prepositions the ends of sentences at ;-). And yes, there are cases where this is a poor strategy - a duff tool might damage something expensive (your health, a pricey workpiece - f'r instance a wandering jigsaw ruining an expensive piece of worktop), or cause you to condemn a useful tool category on the basis of a bad experience with the bottom-end flavour.
Obviously, the final purchasing decision here is yours!
Cheers, Stefek
Stefek Zaba wrote | will earn its keep. Once you've used the cheapie, you're in a rather better | position to choose - when the cheapie breaks or becomes too frustrating | to use effectively - among the better-built models, according to the | bells and whistles you now have a much better idea of the utility to | you of.
You also then have the cheapy to fall back on for rough work or lending to people
Owain

I dislike my cheapo B&D jigsaw so much I cut the curves on my wife's new spice rack by hand with my el cheapo coping saw, and apart from the healing cut on my finger caused by me holding the waste *below* the saw it all worked beautifully. Since I had hand ripped and planed all the wood the thought of ruining it with the jigsaw was not to be contemplated.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

[Snip]
Thanks one and all for some serious food for thought, it would appear that sorting this out is going to a slightly longer task than I'd hoped, but I think the little extra time spent in deeper consideration could very well pay some rather worthwhile dividends.
I'm sure I'll have a couple of additional "requests for guidance" relating to certain aspects that arose, during the next day or two.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Why not give this guy a call, maybe he'd branch out into disassembling upright pianos?
http://www.anglegrinderman.co.uk /
That is, unless he's put in jail first ;)
PoP
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:25:28 +0100, PoP

He's even been featured on the local radio news since the first mention I saw of him in here yesterday. I get the feeling he would, as he's quite clearly "something else" that one - however I'd not end up with the satisfaction, the experience or the "quite handy" new toy if it went that way!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

His site's down already.
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:16:55 +0000 (UTC), "GB"

Not from here it isn't.
PoP
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:16:55 +0000 (UTC), "GB"
Local news did an item tonight saying it was "swamped" already - let's see, that's about 24 hours and he needs a new/decent/better ISP/host - I'd say he's a bit popular based on that.
Looks like some drivers might be about ready to revolt in some small way. I guess enough is always enough. Strange times!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

No it's not
--
geoff

Prolly plastic.
What model piano was it anyway? Please don't say it was a Bechstein or a Steinway.
Roger.
On 17 Sep 2003 07:54:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sun.com (The Old Fogey) wrote:

I'm not sure they had all that much plastic as such then. Any they had was looked down on as a cheap rubbish way to go. I suppose people will go bats on the antiques road show for MDF one day if plastic's progress is any sort of guide! Hard to imagine it right now though!

W Barron of Vienna, (no, of London actually, just pulling yer leg!;o)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}