oilet grab bar

What's the optimum height for a grab bar next to the toilet seat? Should it be horizontal or vertical?

Reply to
Graham K.

About the right height for the person who needs to use it to grab comfortably. People vary.

I would fit it vertically. The hand can slip more readily on a horizontal one if putting any effort into pulling on it. It also makes the height less critical, although the distance forward becomes more important.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

To be contrary I would stick it on a diagonal. That way you can get a decent pull or push onto it from the side or above. You also cover a range of reaches and a range of heights in one hit.

I did this for a shower with a seat in it, and it seems to work quite well - even with wet hands etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

But at which diagonal?

Vertical bar are usually just used for support whilst standing, horizontal bars are used for helping in the case of a fall.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That would depend entirely on the person it's intended for.

The one in our downstairs loo is vertical 'cos the person expected to use it can't swivel her wrist sufficiently to grasp a horizontal bar, but has sufficient grip not to slither down a vertical grab.

The one at a friend's house is horizontal for the opposite reasons, and quite low 'cos the user is short. The one in my late Dad's house was angled and quite high 'cos he was

6'2" but needed a different height seated to standing.

Why not get the user to tell you - it's what I do.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Top sloping away from the seated user:

\\ \\

Reply to
John Rumm

45deg from the vertical with the top further away than the bottom. This allows it to be grabbed easily and to be used by the seated person to pull themselves upwards and steady themselves when up.
Reply to
Peter Parry